What is Graduation?
Graduation is the process of a degree being awarded. You must apply for graduation, have a degree audit, and meet all degree requirements to graduate.
What is Commencement?
Commencement ceremonies recognize the academic achievements of graduation candidates. Participation in the ceremony does not guarantee your degree will be awarded. To participate in the ceremony, you must apply for graduation and choose to participate in the ceremony.
If you have questions about the ceremony, tickets, and regalia (cap and gown), please email email@example.com.
Graduation Application Process
All communication regarding graduation will only be sent to your UHV student email. Please be sure to check it regularly.
To graduate, you must have successfully completed all the necessary requirements for your degree. This includes finishing your coursework, exams, projects, and any other obligations specific to your program of study. Your advisor can review your academic progress to ensure you are on track for graduation.
Submit your Graduation Application
Students must apply for graduation BEFORE the deadline indicated for each term in the academic calendar. Students who have not applied for graduation will not be graduated in a given term. To apply for graduation, you need to access your myUHV Self-Service and click on Degree Progress/Graduation > Apply for Graduation.
If you miss the deadline to graduate:
If you failed to meet the deadline to apply to graduate, you may attempt to appeal the deadline by submitting an Appeal to Graduate Form and a graduation application.
If you miss the deadline to participate in the commencement ceremony:
The deadline to appeal your participation in the commencement ceremony must be submitted no later than ten (10) business days after the application for graduation deadline. To appeal, navigate to the Student Records Forms page, download, complete, and submit the Appeal to Graduate Form.
You can check your graduation status on your myUHV account by looking at Degree Progress/Graduation. Your graduation status will show “Applied” until your degree is actually awarded. The degree awarding process can take 4-6 weeks after final grades are posted.
If your status says “Awarded” you can order a transcript that will show your degree.
Diplomas are mailed to the student’s Diploma Address or Mailing Address that is on file with the Registrar/Student Records Office.
To add or change an address, log in to myUHV Self Service and navigate to Personal Information > Addresses.
Students graduating in the spring can expect to receive their diploma in early July, students graduating in the summer should receive their diploma in September, and students graduating in the fall can expect to receive their diploma in early February.
Graduation with Honors
(Applicable for Undergraduate Students Only)
Subject to the approval of the appropriate dean and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, undergraduate students who complete their degree requirements with exceptionally high scholastic averages will be eligible for baccalaureate degrees with honors. To be graduated with honors, students must have completed at least 30 semester hours at UH-Victoria and achieved a grade point average in accordance with the following scale:
Grade Point Average (GPA), Academic Honorific Title:
- 3.50–3.67 Cum laude
- 3.68–3.84 Magna cum laude
- 3.85–4.0 Summa cum laude.
For Preliminary Determination of Graduation with Honors (commencement program only)
Honors candidates are identified by a preliminary grade point average through the second to last semester of coursework.
For students with 30 semester hours or more at UHV, the grade point average for preliminary honors determination will be calculated only on courses taken at UHV. For students with less than 30 semester hours at UH-Victoria, the grade point average for preliminary honors determination will be calculated on the last 45 (*) semester hours, including courses taken at UHV and any lower- or upper-division transfer courses, provided that the grade point average for UH-Victoria is at least a 3.50. All college courses attempted are included in the grade point average, including repeated courses.
(*) May be more than 45 semester hours as all coursework taken during a semester used to reach the 45 hours are included in the calculation. Also, if a student has coursework from more than one institution for a semester used to reach the 45 hours, the hours from all institutions for that semester will be included in the calculation.
For Final determination of Graduation with Honors
A final grade point average for determining graduation with honors will be calculated at the end of the graduation term.
For students with 45 semester hours or more at UH-Victoria, the grade point average for honors is calculated only on courses taken at UH-Victoria. All courses attempted at UHV are used in calculating the grade point average for honors, including repeated courses and courses that may not have been used to fulfill degree requirements.
For students with less than 45 semester hours at UH-Victoria, the grade point average for honors is calculated on the basis of the last 45 (*) semester hours, including courses taken at UH-Victoria and any lower- or upper-division transfer courses, provided that the student has at least 30 semester hours at UH-Victoria and the grade point average for UH-Victoria is at least a 3.50. All college courses attempted are included in the grade point average for honors, including repeated courses and courses that may not have been used to fulfill degree requirements.
(*) May be more than 45 semester hours as all coursework taken during a semester used to reach the 45 hours are included in the calculation. Also, if a student has coursework from more than one institution for a semester used to reach 45 hours, the hours from all institutions for that semester will be included in the calculation.
Post-baccalaureate students earning a second baccalaureate degree may graduate with honors in accordance with the same criteria used for students earning their first baccalaureate degree.
Honors cords are distributed by the Registrar/Student Records Office. We will email your UHV email account to let you know if you are receiving honors or not and to provide instructions on picking up the honors cord. Emails will be sent by the end of March for spring graduates and in October for summer/fall graduates.
- Check that you will meet all degree requirements to graduate.
- Meet with your academic advisor to ensure all degree requirements will be fulfilled by your intended graduation date.
- Confirm that we have all official final transcripts from all other colleges or universities you have attended.
- Resolve any outstanding incomplete grades before the end of the semester you are graduating.
- If you are transferring credits to satisfy final degree requirements, remember to send your transcript with the final grade(s) to UHV Admissions Office.
- Apply for Graduation (Required)
- A graduation application is required regardless of whether you plan to participate in the ceremony. You WILL NOT graduate without an application on file.
- To apply: Log into myUHV Self-Service. Click Degree Progress/Graduation. Choose Apply for Graduation.
- If you miss the graduation application deadline, you must apply for graduation for the available term and Appeal to Graduate Form.
- Verify Diploma Information
- Diplomas and the ceremony program are created using the Primary Name on file unless the student creates a UH-Victoria Diploma Name.
- To ensure this information is correct, log into myUHV Self-Service. Click on Personal Information and Names.
- Diplomas are mailed to the mailing address unless the student creates a diploma address in their myUHV account.
- Monitor your UHV student email
- Emails regarding commencement, degree awarding, and diplomas will be sent to your UHV student email address.
- It is essential that students monitor their UHV student email throughout their final semester.
- Final Degree Audit
- The final degree audit will begin after final grades post and may take up to 60 days to complete.
- Students will receive an email at their UHV email if they have outstanding requirements preventing their degree from being awarded.
- Students will also receive an email once their degree has been awarded.
- Graduation status can be checked by logging into myUHV Self-Service. Click on Degree Progress/Graduation.
- Diplomas are mailed 60 days after final grades post and will arrive in a cardboard mailer to the mailing or diploma address we have on file.
- The current diploma size is 11” x 14.”
- Please see the Graduation Checklist for how to verify your diploma name and address.
*December graduates should expect a longer delay in receiving their diplomas due to the holiday break.
Additional or replacement diplomas may be ordered by completing a Request for Additional/Replacement Diploma form. There is a $30 fee that can be paid by cash, check, cashier’s check, or money order.
*If submitting payment by check, please allow 15 business days for processing. The form and payment must be received before we can process your request.