Teams Question and Answer
How do I log into Teams with my UHV Student Account?
Teams is part of Microsoft Office365. You will need to login with the same credentials as you use for logging into your student email.
User name: Student ID number followed by @uhv.edu (ex: email@example.com)
Password: Same as student email
How do I get\download\install Microsoft Teams for my device?
The Microsoft Teams' installation file can be found on Microsoft's website.
Why are my Team meetings in the wrong time zone?
Personal calendars for meetings are typically controlled by the time zone your computer is set to.
Microsoft Office 365 - Time Zone settings
Windows - How to set your Time Zone
Mac - How to set your Time Zone
How do I chat with other students/my professor?
Teams How to Guide - Start a Chat
How do I share files in Teams?
Microsoft Teams' Guide: Sharing files tutorial
How do I attend/join a Teams meeting?
A set of video tutorials on joining meetings in Teams
How do I schedule a meeting in a private channel?
Microsoft Teams Guide: Schedule a meeting in Teams
How do I share my screen in a meeting?
Microsoft Teams' Guide: Sharing my screen tutorial
How do I share my webcam in a meeting?
Microsoft Teams' Guide: Webcam support article
How do I change my video background?
Microsoft Teams Guide: Changing video backgrounds
How do I share content including PowerPoint in a Team meeting?
Microsoft Teams' Guide: Sharing content in Microsoft Teams
What do I do if I can't join a Team meeting?
- Check the account you are logged into Microsoft Teams with. Is it the same account that was invited.
- Check your internet connection.
- Check meeting invite for a dial-in number alternative.
- Restart computer and try again.
- Check Microsoft Teams for updates and restart application.
Why can't I see the chat and raise hand feature in a Teams meeting?
- Typically, this happens when you are joining a Microsoft Teams meeting scheduled inside a team that you are not a member of.
- Please contact the meeting organizer. This information is included as part of the meeting invitation.
How do I record a meeting?
Microsoft Teams' Guide: Recording a meeting
Where is my Teams Meeting Recording Stored?
- The Teams Meeting Recording storage location has been changed and new meeting recordings are now being sent to OneDrive/SharePoint instead of being stored on Stream.
- Your content that is on Stream (Stream Classic) is not going anywhere at this time.
- These changes to the Teams meeting recording storage location are a move towards a new version of Microsoft Stream, built on SharePoint. You can review the features of this new version of Stream at the following website: Stream (built on SharePoint) new features and functionality.
Where is my recording from a Teams Meetings Scheduled from a Team Channel (channel meetings)?
- If you schedule a Teams meeting from within a Teams Channel (a channel meeting), the recording will be stored in the ‘Files’ section of the channel in a folder specifically called Recordings. All individuals who have access to that channel will have access to the recording.
- This is the preferred method for scheduling academic class meetings or any other meetings where the recordings need to remain within the Team and accessible by members of the Team.
- Video walk through for scheduling a Teams meeting from a Teams channel.
- Note: The linked video above is specifically geared towards academic class Teams. You will follow the same steps for scheduling a Teams meeting from a Teams channel in a non-academic class Team.
- If you are unable to schedule the meeting using the process that the video overviews, email the HelpDesk at HelpDesk@uhv.edu and we will work through it with you.
How long will meeting recordings be available?
Teams meeting recordings will remain available for 730 days.
How do I share a recording?
How to Share a Recording
I know I'm enrolled in class XYZ - why do I not see that class Team?
- Your class instructor must activate the Microsoft Teams component for the class.
- Typically, this happens close to the start of the semester.
- Contact your instructor during the first week of class to see if Microsoft Teams will be utilized for instruction.
How do I delete messages I sent in chat?
Microsoft Teams' Guide: Delete message tutorial
How do I mute a chat?
How to Hide, unhide, mute, or pin a chat in Teams
How do I make a breakout room?
Information on using breakout rooms
How to get Attendance Reports
- Only the meeting organizer has access to the attendee reports
- Microsoft Guide to View and Download Meeting Attendance Reports in Teams
How to use Together Mode
How to use ‘Together Mode’
How do I share my system audio during a meeting or Powerpoint?
Share sound from your computer in a Teams meeting or live event
Where are my recordings for Non-Channel Scheduled Teams Meetings, Meet-Now, or Instant Meetings?
- If you schedule or start a Teams meeting in any way other than from within a Teams channel, the recording will be stored in a folder called Recordings in the OneDrive of the individual that started the recording. The meeting recording will be linked in the chat area of the meeting and accessible to all that were invited. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the user that has the recording in their OneDrive to share the recording with any and all individuals that need access to it. Additionally, the user that has the recording in their OneDrive can remove all share access to it or delete the file entirely.
- Creating a shareable link to a file in OneDrive
Transcriptions and Closed Captions
- At present transcripts can be generated for non-channel scheduled meetings, but not for scheduled channel meetings, meet-now or instant meetings. Closed captions are also not yet available for meeting recordings created from scheduled channel meetings. This feature to be coming in the near future.
- In order to have the transcript generated for non-channel scheduled meetings and available with the recording, all you have to do is start the meeting recording. The transcript will start and stop automatically with the recording.
- For the transcript file to be created, the meeting organizer must ‘end’ the meeting. This will result in the transcript file being generated and made available almost immediately.
- At present the transcript cannot be edited in the same method as Stream Classic. The transcripts can, however, be downloaded as a .docx or .vtt file, edited and re-uploaded to the meeting chat after the fact as a separate file. Microsoft has indicated that the editing of the transcripts similar to how we have it with Stream Classic will be added at a later date.
- More information on transcriptions in Teams meetings