The Legislative Branch of the Student Government Association is called the Student Senate. Through legislation, the Senate works toward improving the student experience at the University of Houston-Victoria.
The Speaker of the Senate is elected by the student body and presides over general meetings of the Senate, heads the Legislative Branch, assigns Senators to standing committees, and sets meeting agendas and times.
The Senate will consist of twenty-five (25) student Senators:
- Four (4) Academic Senators serve to represent the interests of students in their academic colleges and departments. The assigning of constituencies for Academic Senators shall be enumerated in the bylaws.
- One (1) Senator for the College of Business
- One (1) Senator for the College of Education and Health Professions
- One (1) Senator for the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- One (1) Senator for the College of Natural and Applied Science
- Twenty-one (21) Senators serve to represent the interests of their specific class or area of representation.
- Three (3) Freshman Senators
- Three (3) Sophomore Senators
- Three (3) Junior Senators
- Three (3) Senior Senators
- Three (3) Graduate Senators
- Three (3) Katy Senators
- Two (2) International Senators
- One (1) Speaker of the Senate who will also serve on the SGA Executive Board.