The mission of the Student Government Association is to serve the collective interests of the student body at the University of Houston-Victoria by promoting communication between students and the UHV Administration and providing input on university policy. The Student Government Association is a nonprofit, elected, governing body whose purpose is to promote communication between constituents at UHV to enhance the educational environment and to address specific needs of students to provide a voice to and for the student body with respect to academic, cultural, and social matters.
The Executive Branch of the SGA shall be named the Executive Board, or Officers. All executive powers shall be vested in the Executive Branch of the Student Government Association. The President is advised by the board, which consists of the President, Vice President, Speaker of the Senate, Chief Justice, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Public Relations, and Director of Student Organizations.
The Executive Branch oversees the daily operations of the Student Government Association, enforces policies and resolutions, and appoints student representatives to various university-wide shared governance committees.
The Legislative Branch of the Student Government Association is called the Student Senate. Through legislation, the Senate works toward improving the student experience at the University of Houston-Victoria.
The Speaker of the Senate is elected by the student body and presides over general meetings of the Senate, heads the Legislative Branch, assigns Senators to standing committees, and sets meeting agendas and times.
The Senate will consist of twenty-five (25) student Senators:
- Four (4) Academic Senators serve to represent the interests of students in their academic colleges and departments. The assigning of constituencies for Academic Senators shall be enumerated in the bylaws.
- One (1) Senator for the College of Business
- One (1) Senator for the College of Education and Health Professions
- One (1) Senator for the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- One (1) Senator for the College of Natural and Applied Science
- Twenty-one (21) Senators serve to represent the interests of their specific class or area of representation.
- Three (3) Freshman Senators
- Three (3) Sophomore Senators
- Three (3) Junior Senators
- Three (3) Senior Senators
- Three (3) Graduate Senators
- Three (3) Katy Senators
- Two (2) International Senators
- One (1) Speaker of the Senate who will also serve on the SGA Executive Board.
The judicial powers of the Student Government Association shall be vested in the Judicial Branch. The Judicial Branch will be composed of the elected and appointed student representative(s). The Judicial Branch will consist of five (5) members: one (1) Chief Justice and four (4) Associate Justices. The Judicial Branch shall interpret the Constitution and shall have the power to enforce the Constitution and bylaws of the Student Government Association.
Associate Justices shall be appointed annually by the elected Officers and confirmed by two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Legislative and Judicial Branches. Associate Justices must abide by, uphold, and support the Student Government Association Constitution, and other governing documents; support the university community and its mission represent their respective constituencies, and where applicable the student body to the university and local community; accept reports from the SGA Administration, internal committees, and members of the university community.