WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-VICTORIA
- “Appellate Officer” includes the Senior Director of Student Services & Judicial Affairs and the Vice President of Student Affairs (Refer to Section 19).
- “Board” means the University Hearing Board.
- “Business Day” means Monday through Friday during regular University business hours.
- “Code” refers to the UHV Student Code of Conduct.
- “Handbook” means the official UHV Student Handbook.
- “Hazing” means those activities defined in the Texas Education Code Sec. 37.151 et seq., the Prohibited Conduct Section of the Student Code of Conduct regarding Hazing.
- “Hearing Officer” includes the Senior Director of Student Services & Judicial Affairs, Director of Residence Life, Assistant Director of Residence Life, Residence Life Coordinators, and the University Hearing Board.
- “Notice” means correspondence sent to the addressee by means identified in Section 5 of the Student Code of Conduct regarding Notice.
- “Preponderance of the evidence” is the standard of review in the student discipline process, which evaluates whether it is more likely than not that the student did violate a Code provision and/or University policy.
- “Procedures” means the Student Disciplinary Procedures.
- “Record” means correspondence referenced herein relating to the Student Disciplinary Procedures and all hard copy or electronic documents, forms, copies, reports, statements, recordings, or tangible evidence presented in a disciplinary hearing or conference.
- “Referral Notice” refers to the notice initiating disciplinary action.
- “Respondent” means accused student.
- “Sanction” means penalty for violation of the Prohibited Conduct Section of the Student Code of Conduct.
- “Student” means a person who: (a) is currently enrolled at the University; (b) is accepted for admission or readmission to the University; (c) has been enrolled at the University in a prior semester or summer term and is eligible to continue enrollment in the semester or summer term that immediately follows; (d) is attending an additional program sponsored by the University while that person is on campus; or (e) has engaged in prohibited conduct at a time when they met the criteria of (a), (b), (c), or (d).
- “University” means the University of Houston-Victoria.
- “University officials” means those persons in an official university capacity or those who have been given the authority and the responsibility by the appropriate agency or person, including regents, officers, faculty, and administrative staff.
- “University grounds” means property owned, leased, controlled, used, or occupied by the University, including property physically removed from campus.
- “Will” and “shall” are used in the imperative sense.