Jeanne Clery Act
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (The Clery Act) is a consumer protection law that aims to provide transparency around university crime policy and statistics.
The purpose of the Clery Act is to encourage reporting and collection of accurate campus crime statistics to promote crime awareness and enhance campus safety. The Clery Incident Report Form provides a uniform method of documenting the What, When, and Where of certain reportable crimes and/or non-criminal hate motivated incidents that have occurred and have been reported to Campus Security Authorities (CSA) other than the University of Houston-Victoria. Data collected on this form is to be used to increase public safety, not to identify the victim; therefore, personal identifying information is not required.
Clery Compliance Program
The mission of the University of Houston System Clery Compliance Program is to provide each university's community with timely, accurate and complete information about crime and the safety of each university so that community members can make informed decisions regarding their personal safety.
The UHV Clery Compliance Program is charged with ensuring compliance with the following Clery Act requirements:
- Accurately reports identified instances of crimes defined under The Clery Act to the University community and the Department of Education;
- Alerts the University community to certain crimes in a manner that is timely and will aid in the prevention of similar crimes;
- Immediately notifies the University community upon confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation occurring on campus that involves an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees;
- Makes accessible the University's Daily Crime Log;
- Makes accessible the University's Fire Log;
- Timely publication of the University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report;
- Identifies and trains Campus Security Authorities on Clery Act offense reporting;
- Complies with all other Clery Act specific policies and procedures.