University of Houston-Victoria

International Programs


English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)

All students attending the University of Houston-Victoria must be proficient in the use of English.  Students, regardless of immigration status, whose educational instruction has not been in the English language and/or whose first or native language is not English, must demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways. Official submitted scores must be less than three years old.

Undergraduate and Graduate English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)

International students must meet ONE of the following English Proficiency Requirements:

  • Completion of UHV ESL Program at Jaguar Language Center
  • Completion of ESL On-Demand Program through UHV
  • Higher Education completed at an English medium institution outside of the U.S. 
  • 500 on the Paper Based TOEFL
  • 61 on the internet-based TOEFL
  • A score of 5.5 on the IELTS
  • Satisfactory completion of level 109 or higher in an English Language School
  • CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) B1 or higher
  • TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)  550 or higher
  • iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency) 3.5 or higher
  • WASSCE/WAEC : Students must earn a minimum score of C4 on the English Language section
    (West African Senior School Certificate Examination/ West African Education Council)
  • Edexcel O/Ls or A/Ls  C or better for English Language
  • SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) Scores of 1100 or higher with combined scores of Critical Reading and Math
  • ACT (American College Testing) score of 18 or higher
  • PTE (Pearson Test of English) 43 or higher
  • MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) 69 or higher
  • Completion English Language Programs through any location accredited by Commission of English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) at any U.S. and/or overseas institution list through the CEA website
  • Completion of Cambridge English Level B1 or higher
  • Completion of Level 6 at any A.C.E. Language Institute

Graduate Student Requirements

  • Certain graduate programs may require higher English Proficiency Scores. Please contact the Graduate Program for specific graduate program requirements. 

English Proficiency Requirement Waiver Interview

If you are an undergraduate or graduate student who wishes to request the English Proficiency Requirement waived (International students from non-native English speaking countries) please contact the International Programs Office on how you can complete the English Proficiency Requirement Waiver by simply conducting a face-to-face Listening, Speaking and Writing interview.  Students must have a high speed internet connection, a computer with a webcam, microphone, and a skype account. Please remember to add UHV International Programs skype account uhvinternational to your skype account.  International Programs Office will set-up a date/time where the international student will be able to conduct a face-to-face speaking and writing interview to waive the English Proficiency Requirement.  In order to grant this option, first you must complete the entire undergraduate or graduate application process to UHV.

English Proficiency Exemptions:

  • Applicants who completed the UHV ESL Program through Jaguar Language Center
  • Applicants are exempt from the English proficiency requirement if either (a) they are a citizen of Native English Speaking Country, or (b) they received, or will receive, a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an institution located in one of the following countries:
    Australia, the British Caribbean and British West Indies (Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas,  Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tobago and Trinidad), Canada, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, United Kingdom, and the United States.
  • Earned a high school Diploma, Associates of Arts, Associates of Science, or bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. high school, college or university.
  • Completion of freshman composition English with C or better, quarter system institution students must complete two freshman composition courses with C or better
  • Completion of an accredited English Program through Commission on English Language Accreditation