English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)
All students attending the University of Houston-Victoria must be proficient in the use of English. Regardless of immigration status, students whose educational instruction has not been in the English language and/or whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency.
Undergraduate and Graduate English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)
- Complete Duolingo. UHV required Duolingo score of 85 or higher. The cost of the Duolingo test is $49.
- TOEFL Scores (Institution Code: 6917)
- Paper-Based: 500 minimum
- Internet-Based: 61 minimum
- IELTS Scores: 5.5 minimum
- TOEIC Scores: 650 minimum
- iTEP Scores: 3.5 minimum
- SAT Scores: 1100 minimum, combined Critical Reading and Math scores
- ACT Scores: 18 minimum
- PTE Scores: 43 minimum
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) Scores: 69 minimum
- CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) B1 minimum
- WASSCE/WAEC: C4 minimum on the English Language section
- Edexcel O/Ls or A/Ls C or better for English Language
- Cambridge English Level B1 or higher
- Completion of English Language Programs accredited by the Commission of English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) at any U.S. and/or overseas institution listed through the CEA website
- Satisfactory completion of level 109 or higher in an English Language School
- Higher Education completed at an English medium institution outside of the U.S. as verified by a NACES Member
- English Proficiency Requirement Waiver (see below)
Official test scores must be less than 3 years old. UHV Institution code: 6917
- Applicants who meet either of the following criteria: (a) you are a citizen of an official Native English Speaking Country, or (b) you have received, or will receive, a Bachelor's degree or higher from an institution located in one of the following countries:
- Australia, the British Caribbean, and British West Indies (Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tobago and Trinidad), Canada, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, United Kingdom, and the United States
- Applicants who earned a high school Diploma, Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. high school, college, or university
- Applicants who completed freshman composition English courses with C+ or better
- Quarter system institution students must complete 2 freshman English composition courses with C+ or better
- Applicants who completed courses in a country from a Native English Speaking Country.
- If you believe you fall for an English Proficiency Waiver or exempt from the English Proficiency Waiver please email email@example.com
The English proficiency waiver and exemption appeals are only granted to students whose only lacking application requirement is the English Proficiency Requirement. All other application requirements must be met first.
English Proficiency Requirement Waiver
If you are an undergraduate or graduate student who wishes to request the English Proficiency Requirement to be waived please contact the International Programs Office. The English Proficiency Requirement Waiver consists of a face-to-face Listening, Speaking, and Writing assessment conducted via Skype or in person. Students must have a high-speed Internet connection, a Skype account, and a computer with a webcam and microphone. Please add UHV International Programs' Skype account (uhvinternational) to your Skype contacts. If requested and approved, the International Programs Office will set up an appointment to conduct the assessment. This waiver process is only granted to students whose only lacking application requirement is the English Proficiency Requirement. All other application requirements must be met first.