University of Houston-Victoria


Related University Policies and Guidelines


UHV does not automatically award a degree when you complete your scholastic requirements. To be considered as a candidate for a degree, you must submit an application online through myUHV, (UHV Self Service/Degree Progress/Graduation/Apply for Graduation). You can file an application either during the term prior to, or during the semester in which you plan to graduate. However, participation in the commencement ceremony is limited to the term in which degree requirements will be completed. If you applied for graduation in any past term but were disapproved, you must re-file an application for graduation.Semester deadlines for submitting applications are published on the UHV website, Important Dates & Deadlines.

There are typically two commencement ceremonies per year, one for Spring typically held in Victoria, and one for Fall typically held in Katy. At the present time, Summer term graduates participate in the Fall ceremony. You should contact the UHV Bookstore to obtain information on caps, gowns, and invitations, or visit the Graduation website. Important: To be considered as a candidate for a degree, you must submit an application for graduation, regardless of your plans to participate in the commencement ceremony.

You must be on track to complete all requirements toward your degree in the semester for which you plan to participate in commencement. If all requirements for graduation cannot be met during the current semester, you may be denied participation in the commencement ceremony. Please note that Commencement is a ceremony in which preliminary degree candidates are recognized for their academic achievements. The commencement program reflects the name and degree of each preliminary degree candidate as well as the honors designation based on the previous semester's progress. Conferral of the official UHV degree occurs after commencement when final grades are posted and all degree requirements have been met. The commencement program only lists those candidates who applied by the appropriate deadline and, therefore, should not be considered an official list of graduates. If all requirements for graduation cannot be met during the current semester, you may be denied participation in the commencement ceremony. For information concerning eligibility to participate in one of the ceremonies, please contact the Office of the Registrar and Student Records, at 361-570-4368 or 1-877-970-4848, ext. 4368.

 All degrees are posted at the close of the ‘regular’ session in a term. If students are taking a shorter session in a term their degree will not be posted earlier. i.e. Fall Term-Dec; Spring Term-May; Summer Term-August. Coursework must be completed in the term for which the student applied for graduation. i.e. If a student has been approved to graduate in spring 2023, all coursework approved on the degree plan to meet degree requirements must be completed within that Spring 2023 term

Diplomas are mailed approximately four to six (4 - 6) business weeks after the day final grades are posted to the student record system.

Graduation with Honors: Graduation with Honors is for undergraduate students only. Please refer to the “Academic Policies” section of the UHV Catalog for specific information regarding Graduation with Honors.

President’s List (Undergraduate Students Only)

The President’s List is compiled each fall and spring term. To qualify for this recognition, the student must earn a 4.0 grade point average on all work completed during the term. A minimum of nine semester hours, excluding courses in which grades of S were earned, is required for consideration. Any student who earns a grade of I, D, F or U during the semester is excluded from consideration for the list. Once compiled, UHV’s Marketing Department provides the president’s list to local newspapers, based on the student’s current mailing address. It is the decision of the newspaper as to whether the list is published or not.

Note: Students which make the President’s List automatically make the Dean’s List; hence, are not listed twice.

Posthumous Degrees: In accordance with established guidelines and procedures, which are available from the Registrar, the University of Houston-Victoria, may award posthumous degrees on request. Any exceptions to this policy are at the discretion of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.