Skip to main content
Jaguar Logo

Financial Aid

Military and Veteran Benefits

The University of Houston-Victoria is proud to support the education of veterans. Our Office of Financial Aid is ready to help you apply for benefits for you, your child, or your spouse.

We are approved by the Texas Education Agency to provide Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits under Chapters 32 and 35, Title 38, U.S. Code.

To expedite payments, veterans should contact the Office of Financial Aid at least 60 days before the first class day of each semester or term to complete the necessary forms and paperwork for that study period.

VA enrollment is certified up to 10 days prior to the first class day of each semester; however, you are responsible for notifying your VA Certifying Official if your enrollment changes.

veteran and military


Senior Financial Aid Specialist

I'm Bianca Singh, your VA School Certifying Official. Here to assist you for a smooth education journey at UHV.

Veteran Officials

Financial Aid staff responsible for interacting with service members attend regular federal and state financial aid training sessions which include topics related to regulations for awarding and disbursing financial aid and counseling students. Staff are required to attend at least four trainings per year.  They also attend the Texas Association of Collegiate Veterans Program Officials Conference annually to stay abreast of VA program regulations.


Payment Delay Policy

Effective August 1, 2019, schools are not allowed to penalize or prohibit a GI Bill® student from attending or participating in courses while awaiting VA payment (for up to 90 days).  See the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 for more information.

UHV will uphold the standards of the VA  by allowing the Veteran to fill out 3rd party sponsor agreement and a hold will be placed on the veteran's account preventing an enrollment cancellation.

Forms and Publications

  • Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training: For veterans who received VA benefits at another institution prior to attending UHV. Due before your first semester at UHV
  • Form 22-5490 Application for VA Benefits: For dependents of disabled or deceased parents (Chapter 35)
  • Form 22-5495 For dependents who are continuing their Chapter 35 benefits
  • Form 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits: Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 1606, and Chapter 1607 Veterans applying for VA Benefits for the first time
  • Form 22-1905: Sent by Regional VA Counselor at the request of Chapter 31 veterans

Other Requirements

All Chapter 30 and 1606 veterans applying for benefits must submit a copy of their DD-214 and a signed UHV degree plan.

First-term students without a degree plan should meet with a degree plan counselor before the end of the first term. If a degree plan is not submitted, your VA benefits for your second term may not be certified.

To continue receiving the VA benefits, students must certify their enrollment electronically with the VA each month: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.).

Financial Aid Options for Veterans & Their Families

Post 9/11 GI Bill®

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered is available on the Veterans Benefits Administration website.

Hazlewood Tuition Exemption

Texas veterans with no eligibility remaining under any U.S. government programs may be eligible for tuition and fee exemption under provisions of the Hazlewood Act. The exemption provides an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans that have exhausted their VA Educational Benefits. Information can be found with Student Billing at UHV.

College Scholarships for Military Veterans

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance for military spouses pursuing degree programs, licenses, or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields. Spouses can contact MilitaryOneSource for education counseling and help in finding alternative funding sources. Call toll-free 1 (800) 342-9647.

Federal, State and Institutional Grants, Scholarships and Loans

All students are eligible to apply for financial assistance.  The first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  For more information on how to apply for financial aid resources, click here.  Review the Financial Aid Calendar for important dates and deadlines.

Spouse Employment Opportunities and Programs

Military Minute
with Derek Tovey

Additional Resources for Veterans

National Resource Directory

The National Resource Directory connects wounded warriors, service members, veterans, their families, and caregivers with those who support them. The website includes information on Benefits & Compensation; Education & Training; Employment, Family & Caregiver Support; Health, Homeless Assistance; Housing; Transportation & Travel; Volunteer Opportunities; and Other Services and Resources.

Co-Enrollment at Another Institution

Veterans co-enrolled at another institution must inform the UHV VA Certifying Official of their co-enrollment status, so we can initiate a Parent Institution Letter.



military and veterans

Military Transcripts

Information about military transcripts and how to request the transcripts is available on the Joint Services Transcript website.

To learn more about applying for financial aid, types of financial aid, and keeping your financial aid, please watch our Financial Aid Orientation video.