Skip to main content
Jaguar Logo

International Programs

F-1 Student Enrollment and Tuition Comparison

Enrollment Requirements for F-1 Students

The United States Department of Homeland Security regulates enrollment for students who hold an F-1 visa.  The International Student Services staff report student enrollment by uploading information to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) each semester.  Enrollment requirements for F-1 students is different from that of students who hold another visa status.  See the comparison to other visa holders enrollment options below.  Once a change of status to F-1 visa is approved, the student must comply with the enrollment regulations.

Students who hold visa categories other than F-1 may enroll part-time or full-time, without limit to online classes.  However, Undergraduate students who hold an F-1 student visa must follow these enrollment requirements in order to maintain their visa status:


Tuition Rate for F-1 International Students

Students who hold a visa other than the F-1 category may be allowed to pay in-state tuition rates if their visa is eligible to domicile in Texas as determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.  However, F-1 visa category is not eligible to domicile in Texas.  Students eligible to domicile in Texas who are already enrolled in classes at UHV, and currently pay in-state tuition rate, will be required to pay the international tuition rate after their change of status to F-1 has been approved.

Students are urged to compare the Texas Tuition rate and the International Student tuition rate by using the Tuition and Fees Calculator located on the UHV Tuition and Fees web page prior to requesting a change of status. 

Support documentation must be submitted prior to issuing an I-20 to any student who will change to F-1 status.