University of Houston-Victoria

International Programs



Social Security Number/ Individual Taxpayers Identification Number

  • Social Security Number(SSN)
    A Social Security Number (SSN) is a unique, 9-digit taxpayer identification number used for taxpayer identification, income reporting, and record-keeping purposes. A Social Security Number is not work authorization. The Social Security Administration (SSA) issues numbers to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents and to eligible foreign nationals. Eligibility to apply for a social security number is dependent on one's eligibility for employment in the U.S.
    Everyone who is employed in the U.S. must have a social security number. Once issued, the number is valid for a lifetime. If you have been issued a number previously, do not apply for another as this will cause confusion in your tax records. If you do not have a social security number, you will need to visit one of the local Social Security Administration offices to apply for one.
  • Individual Taxpayers Identification Number (ITIN)
    ITIN is a tax processing number, issued by the IRS, for certain resident and non-resident aliens, their spouses and their dependents. A nine digit number in the same format as the SSN (9XX-8X-XXXX), begins with a "9" and the 4th and 5th digits range from "70" to "88" and only available to individuals who need a tax payer identification number for valid tax purposes and who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, an SSN from the Social Security Administration. For more information on applying for an ITIN number and where to mail the form, please read the
  • How to get a Social Security Number and ITPIN
    All F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayers Identification Number (ITIN) only if they are in the United States and currently holds a job. You do not need to have a SSN in order to rent an apartment, apply for cell phone or a driver's license if you are an international student.
    Documents needed to apply for a SSN and ITIN
    • If you are a new student – 10-day wait time to apply for SSN/ITIN
    • F-1/J-1 Employment letter issued to the student by Human Resources
    • A letter issued by International Programs Office
    • Valid Passport
    • I-94 card
    • Current I-20

Working On-Campus

Working Off-campus