University of Houston-Victoria

International Programs


CPT Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined as employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum including, "alternate work/study, internship. cooperative education, or any other type of required internship por practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school" Source [ 8CFR 214.2 (f) (10)(i)].

Types of CPT
There are two types of CPT: required and not required. Required CPT is when the academic program mandates all students to complete practical work experience in order to graduate. Not require or optional CPT is when the practical work experience is for credit and directly related to your field of study.

Part-time vs Full-Time CPT
Part-Time CPT: Employment for 20 hours of less per week. You must be simultaneously enrolled in classes full-time in order to maintain lawful F-1 status

Full-time CPT: Employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time. Please be aware that 12 months of more of full-time CPT will invalidate your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). During the academic year (fall and spring semesters), you must be simultaneously enrolled full-time in order to maintain lawful F-1 status.

CPT Eligible Criteria
To be eligible for CPT, you must,

  • Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year (i.e. 12 months of attendance at UHV). An exception to this academic rule is provided for graduate students whose programs require immediate participation in CPT. The program requirement must be for all students in the program and should be listed on te program's website in the curriculum description including the online catalog).
  • Good academic standing.
  • Be in lawful F-1 status.
  • Are in a major (pre major, who are not admitted into a major are not eligible for CPT. CPT cannot be authorized based on a minor, certificate or an emphasis).
  • Complete the course registration credit requirement listed below.
  • Have UHV approved health insurance.
  • Must complete mandatory CPT session by the International Programs Office prior to applying for CPT.
  • Job or internship offer.
  • Approval from the internship coordinator/director.

Note: CPT is processed and authorized by semester. Contact your academic department internship coordinator/advisor or internship director for each department specific guidelines and follow those guidelines for CPT applications. Please note that your department as discretion in recommending CPT.

Credit Requirement
You may request authorization for CPT to participate in training that is integral to your established curriculum. Training may required or optional for your degree. Required training must be clearly identified and described in the course catalog, online catalog or similar publication.

If the training is not required by your major degree program, you are required to register for and earn academic credit in your department for your training experience. This could be an internship, cooperative education program, practicum, or similar course through your academic department.

  • You must register for academic internship credit prior CPT authorization.
  • The credit must be earned in the same semester for which CPT is authorized.
  • You must earn at least one CPT related credit for each semester of authorization granted.
  • Graduate student cannot use thesis or dissertation credit to fulfill the CPT credit requirement.
  • If applying for CPT authorization during your final semester, you must register for at least one additional course besides your CPT credit. CPT credit cannot be the only credit your final semester schedule unless it is fulfilling a mandatory degree requirement.

How to Apply for CPT
If you have attended the mandatory CPT session then email Ms. Yvonne Garcia on the steps how to apply. If you have not attended the mandatory CPT session, the student must start the process by attending one of the mandatory CPT sessions in fall, spring and summer. International Programs Office will require 5-7 business days to review and authorize CPT.

CPT Eligible Programs at UHV

  • Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems - CPT Co-op.
  • Bachelor of Business Administration - BBA Internship Course for Elective Credit.
    • (May not work for Accounting Majors, seek SoBA advisement).
  • Master of Science in Computer Information Systems - CPT Co-op.
  • Master of Business Administration - MBA Internship Course for Elective Credit.

CPT requires enrollment in a course during the semester of employment. Students must register and complete the course at the end of the registered semester and will receive a grade for the class from the assigned professor.

Internship Contacts

  • School of Arts and Sciences - Dr Yun Wan, Internship Director, program/faculty director.
  • School of Business Administration - Dr. John Kagochi, Internship Director.

Volunteer Opportunities
International students may accept unpaid internship or volunteer opportunity without needing to process any paper work, as long as they are not replacing a paid U.S. worker and are not receiving any compensation. Note: Any sort of compensation is considered payment, including housing, buying books, stipends, etc.

Volunteering refers to donating time with an organization whose primary purpose is charitable or humanitarian in nature, without payment or any other type of compensation. The position must be advertised as volunteer and no one should have been previously paid for this position. Please refer to Department of Labor guidelines.