Student Rights and Responsibilities
Student Drop or Withdrawal
During periods of availability, a student may drop any or all courses using the Student Self-Service system. After or between periods of online availability, to drop a course or withdraw from all courses, students must submit the appropriate drop/withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records for processing. Drop forms are available online in UHV's eForms system, or in person in the Office of the Registrar and Student Records. Note: If it is not possible to drop or withdraw in person, a written request may be mailed to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records, University of Houston-Victoria, 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, TX 77901. Written requests to drop or withdraw may also be faxed to (361) 580-5500; however, the university is not responsible for requests arriving late, illegible, or incomplete. The date the drop is completed through PeopleSoft or the date the drop/withdrawal form or written request is received by the Office of the Registrar and Student Records is the official date for all matters relating to university business regardless of the date of last class attendance.
1. Drop with No Penalty: If enrollment is terminated on or before the last day to drop without receiving a grade (a date listed in the Academic Calendar), no grade will be assigned, and the course will not appear on the student’s permanent record.
2. Drop with Penalty: If enrollment is terminated after the above date but before the last day to drop or withdraw (a date also listed in the Academic Calendar), a grade of W will be assigned, and the course and grade will appear on the student’s permanent record. Undergraduate students, please see important information below regarding drop course limits.
3. Withdrawal from the university: In addition to completing the procedures explained above, students who are dropping all courses must return all library books and laboratory equipment and have the university record clear in every respect. If a student is unable to come to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records at the time of withdrawal, the student may write to request that the withdrawal be made. The recorded date for the withdrawal shall be the date the student’s letter is received. If the withdrawal comes after the last date to withdraw without receiving a grade, but before the Drop with Penalty period ends, the grade of “W” will be assigned. Note: If a “W” is received prior to a guilty finding of academic dishonesty, the student will become liable for the Academic Honesty penalty, including “F” grades.
4. A student will not be allowed to drop a course after the Drop with Penalty period. The student can only be awarded a grade of A,B,C,D,I, or F on the grade roster by the instructor. Students wanting to be dropped after the Drop with Penalty period should contact their instructor. An instructor who wishes to drop a student with a grade of "W" should make the request by sending an email to the Registrar/Student Records. The instructor must make the request.
5. A student-athlete will not be allowed to change his/her schedule after initial eligibility is certified unless approved by the Faculty Athletic Representative. Contact the Athletics Department for more information or questions.
Grading System / Explanation of Grades
W -- The grade of W is assigned when a course is dropped after the date indicated in the Academic Calendar as the last day to drop a course without receiving a grade, but before the last day to drop a course or withdraw from the university. If a “W” is received prior to a guilty finding of academic dishonesty, the student will become liable for the Academic Honesty penalty, including “F” grades.
Withdrawal of Students for Cause
Students who develop medical problems, which interfere with their continuing enrollment, may withdraw with the approval of the Provost. Documentation of the nature of the medical problem and the resulting implications will be required.
Students who represent an immediate threat to themselves or the university community may be subject to immediate withdrawal.
Please see the UHV Catalog for an explanation of other grades.