Section: Technology Services
Information Technology (IT) shall manage UHV software assets to derive maximum benefit to the University and to ensure that all members of the computing community maintain only approved software on the University’s computer resources.
Approved software, as acquired by the software acquisition process, encompasses the following:
- Campus-wide site licensed software provided to the entire campus.
- Department, College, or individually licensed software or Freeware/Open-Source software approved and acquired through software acquisition process.
- Illegal copying or distributing of licensed software is prohibited, shall be treated as theft, and may result in disciplinary or legal actions.
IT will create and maintain an employee-available list of supported software including:
- Software installed university-wide and covered by a site or similar license.
- Level of support for allowed software.
- All software, regardless of use cases, shall be acquired through the process outlined on our software webpage.
IT will also perform the following software management:
- Purchase, install and provide license management of site licensed and volume licensed (more than one school or department) software.
- Provide methods and procedures for distributing software.
- Where possible, provide for or configure automatic patching/updates.
- Conduct periodic inventories and audits of software running on university computers.
Departments are required to track/maintain license requirements to include but not limited to running periods, quantities, contracts, etc. for specialty software.
If unlicensed or unapproved software is found during an audit or inventory, the user will be requested to either produce proper documentation regarding license ownership, immediately purchase a license, through the previously mentioned software acquisition process, request a license from their department or college, or remove the software. request a license from their department or school or remove the software.
Signature Obtained 09/18/2023
Robert K. Glenn, Ph.D.
Next Review Date: August 2028 (5 years)
Origination: Information Technology