Studying in J-1 Status
If you are a J-1 professor or research scholar, you may enroll in classes as long as:
- The classes are incidental to your primary activity.
- You continue to pursue the objectives for which you came as stated on your DS-2019.
- Your program continues to fulfill the objectives of being in the professor or research scholar category.
- You meet the admissions requirements of the particular program you wish to pursue.
- You are responsible for the cost of the tuition, fees, and other costs unless noted otherwise.
If enrollment in classes or a degree program becomes your primary objective, J-1 status as a professor or scholar is no longer appropriate, and you may be required to apply for a change of status. In rare cases, a J-1 change of category may be appropriate.