University of Houston-Victoria

International Programs

Inviting Your Family

Request a Letter

This page allows F-1 or J-1 international students to request special letters from the Office of International Programs to invite dependents or visitors.

F-1 students may request the following types of information in an OIP letter:

  • Invitation letter: Inviting a family member to visit you from overseas on a tourist visa
  • Invitation letter: Inviting your spouse or child(ren) to come here as F-2 or J-2 dependents.
    • Bringing F-2/J-2 dependents

      If you are in F-1 status:
      • You must be in full-time status.
      • Submit the following documents:
        • Copy of marriage certificate (plus a translation in English)
        • Copy of dependent's passport
        • Official financial documentation - you must show enough funds for you and each dependent (see Estimate of Expenses in the Admission portion of our website)
      • Submit documents to OIP and wait a week for documents to be reviewed and dependent I-20 to be issued. We will email you when the documents are ready to be picked up.
      • Mail the I-20 and financial documents (bank statements, assistantship letters, etc.) to your dependent(s).
      • Dependents should go to Consulate for visa.
      • Current UHV F-1 students who return home to marry during their program, must first submit/fax a copy of their marriage certificate prior to issuance of dependent I-20.

Please note:

  • This form is only for F-1 or J-1 students currently enrolled at UHV.

Please allow ONE week for processing of all International Programs letters. And, if you are travelling outside the U.S., make sure you bring in your I-20 or DS-2019 for a signature for your re-entry to the U.S.