The University of Houston-Victoria Fire Marshal's Office ensures that all buildings and activities meet requirements and maintain compliance with NFPA 101 and NFPA 1.
UHV complies with the UH Fire & Life Safety Code. All construction plans must be reviewed and approved by this office. Construction and installation of fire protection systems require permits. Permits may be obtained through the fire marshal's office at UHV.
Any questions, comments, or concerns can be addressed by emailing email@example.com or by phone at 361-570-4245.
University of Houston-Victoria Area Specific Evacuation Procedure
If an evacuation alarms sounds you should…
- Call 911. If no response, call UHPD at 361-570-4357
- Check the immediate area for other employees who may not be aware of the alarm and warn them.
- Accompany or assist handicapped personnel, visitors, and any co-workers who appear to need calm direction or assistance.
- Leave the area you are in and take personal items with you, if it is safe to do so.
- Shut all doors behind you as you leave. Closed doors can slow the spread of fire, smoke, and water damage in a fire sprinklered building.
- Before you open a closed door, feel it with the back of your hand. If it is hot, leave it closed, and use your alternate escape route. If it feels normal, brace your body against the door and open it slowly. Be prepared to slam it shut if heat or smoke rushes in.
- Never use an elevator during a fire emergency. An elevator might be called or sent to the fire floor thus exposing passengers to deadly heat and gases.
- Proceed to the primary exit and know where it is located.
- If unable to use the primary exit, proceed to the secondary exit and know the best and safest route to use.
- If you must use an escape route where there is smoke, stay as low as possible. Crawling lets you breathe the cleaner air nearer the floor as you move toward the exit.
- Proceed to the designated meeting/muster area. The meeting/muster area for your group should be discussed and reviewed to keep you aware of where to go and meet during fire.
- Meet with other members of your group and remain in the meeting/muster area and wait for further instructions.
- Do not return to the building until you have received the "all clear" and given instructions to return.
If a fire occurs in your area you should…..
- Remain calm. Uncontrolled panic can result in serious injury or panic.
- Close the door(s) and/or window(s) to isolate the area and reduce the chances of fire and smoke spread.
- Go to the nearest fire alarm pull station and activate alarm.
- The closest fire alarm pull station is located by an exit door near your office.
- The next closest fire alarm pull station is located by an exit door at or near your secondary exit.
- Call 911 and report the location of the fire. When contacting 911 know the address, building name, and cell number, in case fire dispatch needs to contact you for more information. Then contact the University Police at 361-570-4357
- If the fire is small and you are trained in the use of fire extinguishers you can attempt to put the fire out. Do not jeopardize your personal safety to do so. Do not allow the fire to come between you and the exit.
- Disconnect electrical equipment that is on fire, if it is safe to do so. Be prepared to use a fire extinguisher, if you are trained, or close the door to the office and evacuate. Know the room number and location to advised emergency responders arriving on the scene.
- All employees should immediately begin the evacuation procedures and travel to the meeting/muster point.
- LIFE SAEFTY is always first. Property may be replaced, but people cannot be replaced.
Tent Use and Permitting
UHV has stringent requirements and a permitting process for the use of tents on campus.
Permiting and installation guides are posted in the Fire and Life Safety for UH Main Campus.
Tent Procedures for tents exceeding 10 x 10 are posted under UH Fire and Life Safety Manual, Policies, and Procedures.
The permit may be saved, printed, filled out, and submitted to UHV Fire Marshal's Office for review and approval.
All tents, used on campus, must be reported to the UHV Fire Marshal Office prior to use and inspected to ensure established life safety requirements are maintained.
Any questions, concerns, or comments may be addressed by contacting the UHV Fire Marshal's Office at 361-570-4245.
Mobile Food Vendors
Mobile/Temporary Food Vendors working on campus must meet or exceed the minimum standards applied the University of Houston Fire Marshal's Office and be inspected and approved by the UHV Fire Marshal's Office prior to operations.
The University of Houston-Victoria Fire Marshal's Office requires compliance with UH Temporary Food Dealer's Policies and Procedures. Contact the UHV Fire Marshal's Office for information: 361-570-4245 or firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Houston Fire Marshal's Office: UHV Open Flame Policy
UH Food Dealer's Policy
Texas Food Establishment Rules
U.S. Food and Drug: Food Code 2017
Local Mobile Food Vendors compliance is documented in the City of Victoria Local Ordinances and Fire Codes:
Section 14-59 through 14-61
Section 10-60 through 10-68