Participating Departments in the UHV Here for You Campaign
The departments below participate in the Here for You calendar of events to serve all UHV community members by hosting events on campus or digital campaigns. To join the calendar of events as a hosting department, contact Brandon Lee, Title IX & Equal Opportunity Office, at (361) 570-4835.
Office of the President (Approval for Campaign)
Title IX and Equal Opportunity (Campaign Organizer)
The Title IX and Equal Opportunity Office organizes the Here for You website, presents campaign topics for review to the Office of the President, coordinates campaign planning among department leaders, and designs digital ads to promote each campaign. The Title IX and Equal Opportunity Office also hosts or participates in many campus events during 2019-2020 including:
- Live training for all UHV employees on topics related to prevention of sexual violence, reporting obligations and trauma-informed practices.
- Employee orientation and continuing training on anti-discrimination initiatives and best practices.
- Live summer training of incoming students in small group sessions as well as Q&A sessions for parents.
- Jaguar Journey panel participation and live training for all incoming students on Safety 101 Tips.
- Provides campus safety cards to all students and campus offices.
- Hosts diversity round tables to collect student input on diversity initiatives.
- Organizes panel discussion on best practices for safe online dating among other topics to prevent sex-based discrimination or violence.
The UHV Counseling Center organizes campus events throughout the year at both the Victoria and Katy locations. Licensed counselors in the Counseling Center provide free, confidential services to enrolled students. A sample of fall 2019 events currently includes:
- "End the Stigma Week!" with flag displays and decorations, panel, QPR training, student-led interactive panels, documentary viewing and health screenings for suicide prevention.
- Lunch-and-learn events on sexual health, healthy relationships, healthy eating and more.
- Clothesline Project (t-shirt decoration and displays) and Take Back the Night Glow 5K for domestic violence awareness.
- Depression screenings for World Mental Health Day.
The Disability Services Office is partnering with the Title IX & Equal Opportunity Office to share new, digital materials to raise awareness and inclusion for persons with disabilities. The Disability Office also shares campus-wide information regarding disability-related rights to students and employees.
International Programs Office
The International Programs Office is partnering with the Title IX & Equal Opportunity Office to raise awareness regarding human rights during Human Rights Awareness month in December.
Office of the Provost
The Office of the Provost is partnering with the Title IX & Equal Opportunity Office to raise awareness regarding accessibility for persons with disabilities during Accessibility Awareness month in May. The Office of the Provost provides faculty training for accessibility and oversaw the launch of Blackboard Ally for online course accessibility beginning in summer of 2019.
Residence Life hosts safety-related campaigns for student housing residents and partners with the Title IX & Equal Opportunity Office for yearly, advanced training for all residence assistants.
SafeZone and LGBTQ Coordinator
The UHV LGBTQ Coordinator trains LGBTQ SafeZone Allies in partnership with several UHV departments. SafeZone also hosts inclusion events each June in celebration of Pride Month as well as events throughout the year in promotion of LGBTQ rights.
The Student Conduct Office facilitates a variety of workshops and campaigns throughout the year related to student discipline for faculty, staff and students to participate in. Specific areas of focus are centered around Campus Safety Awareness month in September and Real-World Safety month in March.
UHPD provides campus training on core safety topics including active-shooter response training and partners with the Title IX & Equal Opportunity Office to provide campus messaging on safety topics including Active Bystander best practices.