Early Alert (ASR)
Academic Success Referrals or ASRs
What is an ASR?
An Academic Success Referral or ASR is an early intervention tool that the University of Houston-Victoria uses to identify & contact students that exhibit behaviors or habits that inhibit their success in the classroom.
It is our belief that early intervention allows time & opportunity for students to make necessary adjustments to their academic performance through the use of academic services/resources, communication with faculty, & support from their Success Coach/advisor.
ASRs come from the faculty & are processed by the Success Coaches. Faculty members are encouraged to submit referrals when students display academic, social, or emotional difficulties, such as:
- Failure to complete & turn in assignments
- Failure to read & understand assigned readings
- Frequent absences (or stop attending)
- Poor participation in discussions
- Poor study skills
- Poor understanding of course content
- Poor writing skills
- Weak performance on major exams & assignments
- Weak performance on quizzes &/or homework
- General concerns
ASRs are not meant to stop communication between professor and students.