The Writing Center is here to help you become a stronger, more effective writer. Through the use of best strategies and thoughtful questioning, writing consultants can guide you to clearer writing, tighter focus, and enhanced critical thinking. We work with students at any stage of the writing process, so whether you’ve finished a paper or are in the middle of brainstorming, the writing center is happy to help. We have a team of trained writing consultants who love to write and to talk about writing. The UHV Writing Center utilizes writing center, social justice, and ecological theories to form the foundation of its praxis.
The Writing Center offers five different types of services depending on where you are in the writing process and your flexibility needs:
- The Writing Lab – an informal time for works in progress. Writing consultants are available as needed for guidance as you write.
- The Writing Consultation – for when you’ve completed a paper and need a thoughtful reader to respond and give critical feedback and guidance for revisions.
- The Online Writing Consultation – a writing consultation via IM or video chat for students who are off campus.
- The Online Writing Center –this service gives students the flexibility to e-mail a completed document and receive written feedback within 2-5 business days.
- The Online Writing Lab – an alphabetized archive of helpful writing resources and handouts, ideal for the self-guided student.
Please be aware that we will need written permission from an instructor before we can review essay exams.