When an incident is not an emergency, disruptive behavior should be documented through the Incident Reporting Form. Document situations and observations to put together patterns of behavior and to provide necessary information to write reports – include details, date, time, location, behavior, quotes, etc. Below are helpful tips regarding documentation:
- Be factual and detailed, use concrete terms.
- Keep log of interactions.
- Keep accurate records of observations of behavior.
- Keep copies of emails, messages, letters, etc.
- Follow up conversations with student in writing and keep copy in file.
- Keep out editorial language, suppositions.
- Do not keep as part of an academic record.