Looking for something to do from the comfort of your home? We’ve got a few ideas to keep you entertained.
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems! Join Kennedy Center Education Artist-in-Residence at Home for a live daily doodle lesson at 11:00am MST. Videos will be available after live on the Kennedy Center YouTube channel.
- Join the McHarper Manor weekdays on Facebook for a daily art project tutorial. Art projects will range from watercolor paintings to chalk art to canvas painting and will take place live at 11:00am MST. Videos will be available after the live class on the McHarper Manor Facebook page.
- Missing group fitness classes or going to the gym? Check out the Planet Fitness Facebook page for live-streamed daily workouts several times a day. Or join local Colorado fitness professional Alex Vaughan for live dance classes through their YouTube channel Zook Dance Fitness or learn a routine for a specific song from the previously recorded videos.
- Is Yoga more your thing? Check out CorePower Yoga to keep up your practice from the comfort of your living room. You can also try the Simply Yoga app for more great poses and workout routines.
- For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, visit UCLA Health for downloadable guided meditations in both English and Spanish.
Virtual Tours and Museums
Experience the best museums from NYC to France to Seoul in the comfort of your own home. Check out these sites to go on virtual tours of different museums and specific exhibits.
- The Louvre
- National Gallery of Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Van Gogh Museum
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
- British Museum
Check out some cool places around the world from National Parks to National Landmarks.
- Go on a virtual field trip to Ellis Island
- Take a live look at Colonial Williamsburg
- Tour England through this 360 video
- Virtually discover Yellowstone National Park and 5 other National Parks thanks to virtual reality (and Google)!
- Talk a walk on the Great Wall of China
- Check out the view from Pompeii through Google Maps
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Just want a cute and cuddly distraction? Check out several different animal live cam options from watching silly sea otters and curious elephants or just mellow out to the hypnotic drifting jellyfish.
- San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Atlanta’s Zoo Panda Cam
- Georgia Aquarium
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bears
- Cincinnati Zoo — live on Facebook daily at 3 p.m.
- Explore Live Cams
- Are you a leader of a student organization on campus? Check out our tips for running virtual meetings with your student organization.
- Zoom is another free tool that let’s you access to video conferencing. This is a great way to “meet up” with your friends, classmates, and student organization members. Create your Zoom account today.
More Fun Things To Do!
Storefronts are closed, but you can still support local businesses by shopping online. Visit the websites of your favorite neighborhood spots, and see what options are available. Below is a list of only a few great options to choose from.
- Casa Jalisco, (361) 579-3386, 1706 N Laurent St.
- Frances Marie’s, (361) 579-0764, 2505 Houston Hwy.
- Guadalajara Mexican Grill, (361) 485-0865, 2301 N Ben Jordan St.
- Joe’s Pizza & Pasta, (361) 579-3225, 601 E Mockingbird Ln.
- Mumphord’s Place BBQ, (361) 485-1112, 1202 E Juan Linn St.
- Niki’s Roma Pizza, (361) 572-8424, 7800 N Navarro St., #197 (Inside Victoria Mall)
- Noot’s Thai Kitchen, (361) 550-8646, 6360 N Navarro St.
- Paint’s Underground Pizza, (361) 220-7455, 5001B John Stockbauer Dr.
- Pinto Bean Restaurant, (361) 574-7813, 4103 N Main St.
- Ramsey’s Restaurant, (361) 572-3287, 1403 N Navarro St.
- Sakura Japanese & Chinese Cuisine, (361) 703-5688, 6306 N Navarro St.
- Sichuan Garden, (361) 573-6600, 2003 E Red River St.
- Uncle Mutt’s Bar-B-Q, (361) 576-6888, 5404 N Navarro St.
- Love live music? Check out live performances taking place in some of the biggest cities around the country. Visit the Do Stuff website for new shows streaming every day.
- Join a Facebook Live dance party with DJ Mel live from Austin, TX. He hosts weekly “Living Room Dance Parties” on his Facebook page. Join the fun here!
- Create a collaborative playlist with your friends or jam out to Rita Wilson’s Quarantunes playlist.
- Watch an Opera for free with the Metropolitan Opera
- Listen to a live recording from the Seattle Symphony
- Choose from 15 Broadway plays and musicals that you can watch on stage from home. Some Broadway stars will be performing live Living Room Concerts from their own homes!
- New York’s 92nd Street Y will live stream special performances with no audience in their concert hall, but with listeners tuning in from all over the world. Check their Facebook page for upcoming events.
- Musical television more your thing? Check out this list of 11 Musical TV Shows to binge watch while you’re home, in between your remote classes of course!
- Check out the 25 Most Interesting Webcams of 2018
- Have a Netflix Party with friends while watching your favorite shows together!
- Have a long distance movie night with family and friends.
- Need a new book to read? Check out the Library of Philadelphia to borrow an ebook.
- Take up a new hobby such as making towel animals, crocheting, or choose from thousands of other tutorial videos on YouTube.
- Print off a free printable coloring page from the “Color Our Collections” campaign with coloring sheets from over 100 museums and libraries from around the world or choose from over 1,500 coloring pages with Just Color.
Coronavirus Updates and Resources
UHV is continuously updating its information and guidance for the university community to address the changing status of COVID-19. Please visit the University’s website for more information about COVID-19 and its impacts to UHV, precautions that are being taken, prevention measures you can take and a compilation of frequently asked questions.
Questions about this page or have other ideas you think we should add? Contact Freddie Cantu.