Approval Procedures for All Events
Student Organization Event Request
- Is required for all student organization events, including meetings.
- Must be fully completed.
- Must be submitted to the Department of Student Life through JagSync two weeks prior to the organizations event.
Certain circumstances do not require the completion of the Event Request Form.
- Officers’ meeting (for planning, etc.).
- Events sponsored by the Department of Student Life.
- Participation in workshops/conference sponsored by the Department of Student Life.
Where to Obtain the Event Request Form
Once you have logged into your JagSync account, visit “My Memberships” on the middle of the screen. Select your organizations name. If you do not see your organization, contact the Department of Student Life for assistance. In your organizations portal, select the “Manage Organization” tab located in the top right corner. Another window will pop up. In that window, click on the three horizontal lines located in the top left corner. This is your Organization Menu. In that menu, click the “Events” tab located at the left of the screen. Select the “Create Event” button on the top right hand side of the page. Follow the instructions. All events and general meetings must be submitted for approval a minimum of two weeks prior to the event.
Other Forms That May Be Required
- SGA Funding Request Form - This form is required for all SGA funding requests for events, workshops, speaker’s performances, festivals, etc. The form also requires a brief description of how the workshop/event meets the organizations purpose and the university’s goals, as well as a statement on specifically how the SGA funds will be spent. This form can be found on the SGA portal in JagSync.
- Release and Waiver of Liability Form (travel and events) - Required if traveling anywhere off campus and for events that could result in injury (football tournament, skating, etc.). The form must be completed and filed in the Department of Student Life prior to departure of travel and forms must be filled out at the beginning of an event if needed. If SGA funds are being used for the travel event, the form is required, regardless of whether individuals are traveling separately or as a group. The form can be found on the UH Legal Affairs website.
- Room Set Up Form – The Room Set Up Form is used ONLY when reserving the University North Multi-Purpose Room. This form can be retrieved by emailing Shirley Jung.
- Facility Service Request – A Facility Service Request is required if an event needs extra tables, chairs, stage, or trash cans that are typically not available at that facility. Most Facility Service Requests are made for events in the Jaguar Hall Commons, Jaguar Hall Lobby, the 11:59 Lounge, and Pyramid Row. The Facility Service Request can be found on the on the Housing Page under Submit a Work Order. Once you login, select Event Setup for your Problem Type.
- Graphics Request – If a student organization would like a poster or graphic created by the Marketing and Communications Department, they must submit full request details in the Event Request Form found on JagSync at least four (4) weeks before the graphic is needed.
Timelines to Submit Completed Forms
The basic timelines to submit completed forms is located below:
- Minimum of two weeks in advance for the Event Request Form for any planned event or general meeting.
- Minimum of two weeks in advance for the SGA Funding Request Form if SGA funds are being requested for payment and/or reimbursement of expenses.
- Minimum of eight weeks in advance for the SGA Funding Request Form if requesting SGA funds to pay for travel.
- Minimum of two weeks in advance for a Room Set Up Form or Facilities Request Form for rooms that need to be set up or special facilities requests.
- Minimum of four weeks in advance for a poster or graphic made through the Marketing and Communications Department.
A request may be submitted sooner than the required minimum to allow more publicity lead-time. If the student organization has planned the full semesters events in advance (confirmed speakers, etc.), the forms may all be submitted at the beginning of the semester.
If requesting Student Government Association funds, be aware of other events which may impact the approval process (individuals who must process/sign the paperwork may be out of town, no SGA meeting due to holidays, timing of the meeting, etc.). Student organizations who wish to receive funds from the Student Government Association must attend three General Body Meetings each semester. More information may be found in Section 2.4.
These timelines have been set to allow sufficient time for obtaining the signatures needed or to allow for additional processing time for special circumstances. Exceptions will not be permitted.
The Event Approval Process
- Student organization officers complete and submit the Event Request Form through JagSync two weeks prior to the organization event.
- The Department of Student Life will review the event forms to ensure they are fully and properly completed. If necessary, they will phone the person listed as the contact person on the form to obtain further information.
- Events will be approved through JagSync. If an event is not approved, student organizations will receive a notification from JagSync as well as a written explanation.
- Before an event space or location can be reserved, the student organization must have received approval on their Event Request Form submission. Once approved, a space or location can then be reserved through the University Calendar. Calendar postings should include the details from the approved Event Request Form. Acronyms are not permitted when creating a posting on the University Calendar.
Events May Not be Publicized Until Approved (In accordance with University policy)
Approval is indicated by an Event Request Form message through JagSync. Student organizations must also wait for a confirmation email if requesting a facilities space, before publicizing the event. These two confirmations will seldom occur simultaneously, due to different procedures in the various offices involved.
If an event is not approved:
- The Department of Student Life will notify the student organization via JagSync messaging or email.
- If the event is not approved, it may NOT be conducted in the name of the student organization or the name of the university. NO funds from the SOFC may be used for its support, and the activity cannot be advertised on campus.
- The reason for non-approval may be appealed to the Vice President of Student Affairs, in accordance with campus policies and regulations.
- If an organization proceeds to conduct an event without approval, their University recognition as a student organization could be at risk and may be revoked.
Coca Cola Products
The university granted the Coca Cola Company exclusive rights to sell and serve soft drinks on the UHV campus. All student organizations providing beverages for on campus programs must serve Coca Cola products.