Start a New Organization
If an organization does not exist in a particular area of interest, a minimum of five (5) students can form an interest group to start the process of becoming a recognized student organization. Interest groups must Register An Organization through JagSync. All required information must be completed before the Interest Group is considered for approval.
Before registering your Interest Group, students must have the following information:
- Name of Interest Group
- Five (5) members, three (3) of which must hold officer positions and have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Officers must consist of UHV students only.
- Name of a UHV faulty/staff advisor (organizations are required to have an advisor)
- Constitution regarding its method of operation (sample constitution can be found in the Student Organization Handbook)
The following articles should be included in all organizational constitutions:
- Name of the Organization
- Purpose and Goals of the Organization
- Qualifications of Membership
- Officers, the Election Process, and Duties (terms of office)
- Selection of an Advisor
- Meetings of the Organization
- Financial Obligations
- Non-Hazing Clause
- Constitutional Amendments and Review
The Department of Student Life and Services (SLS) will review the required submissions and verify that the Interest Group’s purpose is lawful and within university regulations. If the requirements of registration are not approved, the organization may appeal the decision to the Director of Student Life and Services.
To register a new Interest Group, please follow the steps below:
- Sign into JaySync with your UHV email ID and password. If you have not joined JagSync, you will create a JagSync Personal Profile when you log in.
- Once in JagSync, click on the “Organizations” tab toward the top of the screen. Then, select the “Register An Organization” tab on the middle left of the page. Choose the “Register A New Organization” icon .
- Complete the form. This form will be submitted to the Department of Student Life and Services. The Associate Director will contact you within 5 days regarding your new Interest Group.
Be sure to review the Student Organizations Handbook before completing the registration form.