The Legislative Power of the Student Government Association is vested in the Student Senate. Through legislation, the Senate works toward improving the student experience at the University of Houston Victoria.
The Speaker of the Senate is elected by the student body and presides over general meetings of the Senate, heads the legislative branch, assigns senators to standing committees, and sets meeting agendas and times.
The Senate will consist of nineteen (19) student senators:
- (3) Academic Senators serve to represent the interests of students in their academic colleges and departments. The assigning of constituencies for Academic Senators shall be enumerated in the Bylaws.
- (1) Senator for the School of Arts & Sciences
- (1) Senator for the School of Business
- (1) Senator for the School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development
- (16) Senators serve to represent the interests of their specific class.
- (3) Freshman Senators
- (3) Sophomore Senators
- (3) Junior Senators
- (3) Senior Senators
- (3) Graduate Senators
- (1) Speaker of the Senate who will also serve on the SGA Executive Committee.