Article VIII. Committees
The SGA President shall have the power to appoint any standing or special committees as may be necessary for conducting SGA business or activities.
Section 1. Committee Chairs
- Only members of the SGA Executive Board, with the permission of the President, shall be eligible to appoint committee chairs.
Section 2. Membership
- Committee chairs may select members to serve on their committees from within the SGA or from the University of Houston-Victoria student body. Service on one (1) committee shall not preclude service on another committee.
- Athletic Ambassadors are student-athletes at UHV who act as liaisons between SGA and their respective teams. Due to limited meeting requirements, any Athletic Ambassador shall only provide insight to SGA and shall have no voting power.
- There are ten (10) Athletic Ambassadors that serve on the committee.
- Two (2) Ambassadors represent Men’s Soccer
- Two (2) Ambassadors represent Women’s Soccer
- Two (2) Ambassadors represent Softball
- Two (2) Ambassadors represent Baseball
- One (1) Ambassador represents Women’s Golf
- One (1) Ambassador represents Men’s Golf
- All appointed and elected SGA members should serve on at least one (1) committee.
- The SGA Executive Board shall be ex officio members of all committees.
Section 3. Committee Mission Statements
- Bookstore, Degree Plans, Face-to-Face Classes, Library, and Student Success.
- The purpose of the Academics Committee is to lobby on education related issues as they impact the student body. The current primary goal of the committee is to increase the number of face-to-face courses offered for all degree plans at the university. That being said, we feel it is necessary to represent all student populations. This includes traditional, non-traditional, face-to-face, and online students.
- Athletics, Spirit, and Traditions.
- The Athletics Committee is designed to be the voice of student-athletes at the university. The purpose of this committee is to support and assist in promoting Athletics on game-days and for other events. A primary goal of this committee is to create traditions that are developed by the student body aimed at increasing school spirit on campus. The Athletics Committee will be represented by Ambassadors, who are student-athletes, and will act as the liaison between SGA and their respective sports team.
- Campus Life
- Civic Engagement, Leadership Development, Student Activities, and Student Organizations.
- The Campus Life Committee is dedicated to year-round improvement of campus activities and involvement opportunities. The committee supports the university’s commitment to become a destination university. SGA believes that student involvement is an essential part of the development of a satisfactory college career, ultimately enhancing the professional marketability of graduating students. In an effort to improve the collegiate experience at UHV, SGA aims to promote and encourage involvement through civic engagement, leadership development, student activities, and student organizations.
- Campus Safety
- Police/campus security, Student Conduct, and Title IX.
- The goal of the Campus Safety Committee is to ensure all aspects of campus safety are following best practices. SGA wants to meet the expectations of students and their family members, ensuring that the campus and university as an entity is a safe environment, and that it is conducive to academic and personal development.
- Health and Wellness
- Community Health Center, Counseling Center, Disability Services, Recreational Sports, and YMCA.
- The purpose of the Health and Wellness Committee is to serve the well-being of the student body at the University of Houston-Victoria by promoting health and wellness. The Health and Wellness Committee will strive to provide the student body with the proper resources to ensure every student has equal access to a variety of health and wellness opportunities.
- Special Projects and Campus Improvements
- Facilities, Focus Groups, Residence Life, and SGA Programs.
- The Special Projects and Campus Improvements Committee is devoted to launching new ideas to help our institution reach the goal of becoming a destination university. This committee works to improve our university in every aspect, to include: academics, athletics, campus life, campus safety, and health and wellness. The Special Projects and Campus Improvements Committee supports constructive ideas from students, staff, and faculty.