University of Houston-Victoria

Small Business



Agency to contactDescription of services
Consumer Credit Counseling Services of South Texas

3908A John Stockbauer Drive
(Meadowcreek Complex)
Victoria, Texas  77904

(361) 576-9899
(800) 333-4357
Fax:  (361) 854-1334
Provides credit counseling for business owner and individuals having trouble managing their finances.
Secretary of State

1019 Brazos
Austin, Texas  78701

P.O. Box 12887
Austin, Texas  78711

(512) 463-5701
Fax:  (512) 463-5709
Files necessary documents to become a corporation in Texas.
State Comptroller of Public Accounts

District Office
3003 N. Cameron
Victoria, TX  77901

(361) 575-2874
Fax:  (361) 578-9045
Identify state, county, and city sales tax requirements. Issues sales and use tax permits and resale certificates. Collects sales tax.
State of Texas Commercial Site Search - GIS Based
Business/demographic/consumer data for specific locations; examples of available industrial and commercial properties around the state; characteristics of Texas communities that make them attractive to business.
Texas Agricultural Extension Service

Jack K. Williams Administrative Building
Room 112
College Station, Texas  77843-7101

(409) 845-9542
Fax:  (409) 845-9542
Cooperative extension.
Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

205 N. Bridge Suite 110
Victoria, Texas  77901

(361) 575-4776
Fax:  (361) 575-4777
Liquor, beer, wine, and bingo licenses.
Texas Department of Health

Austin Office:  (512) 458-7111
Regulates restaurants and other health concerns. Deals with businesses located in areas without their own city or county health department.
Texas Department of Insurance

P. O. Box 149104
Austin, Texas  78714-9104

(800) 252-3439
Fax:  (512) 475-1771
Provides information about insurance and insurance companies in Texas.
Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services

1502 E. Airline, Suite 13A
Victoria, Texas  77901

(361) 572-8241
Fax:  (361) 572-3648
Issues child care licenses and enforces state requirements.
Texas Department of Transportation

11401 U. S. Highway 59 N
Victoria, Texas  77905

(361) 573-9251
Fax:  (361) 578-2895
Provides county traffic count maps. Information of state and federal highways.
Texas Lottery Commission

P. O. Box 16630
Austin, Texas  78761-6630

(512) 344-5000
Fax:  (512) 478-3682
Lottery Sales License and Retailer Accounting Form information.
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission (TNRCC) Small Business Assistance Program
Austin, TX 

(800) 447-2827
Fax:  (512) 239-1055
Information and assistance on industry specific environmental compliance, etc. Separate from the enforcement division.
Texas Online Guide to Licenses, Permits and Laws
Local city and county contact information for state business licensing and permits.
Texas Rehabilitation Commission Vocational Rehabilitation District Office

4102 N Navarro
Victoria, Texas  77901

(361) 578-1594
Fax:  (361) 578-1598
Assists people with disabilities to participate in their communities by achieving employment of choice and to live as independently as possible. Work related services include counseling, training, medical treatment, assistive devices and job placement assistance.
Texas Rural Development Office

101 S. Main Suite 102
Temple, Texas  76501

(254) 742-9710
Fax:  (254) 742-9712
USDA rural development program office.
Texas Worker's Compensation Commission

3001 N. Cameron
Victoria, Texas  77901

(361) 576-9612
Fax:  (361) 576-9589
Registers for Workers' Compensation Insurance, brochures, forms, and other information. Strict employee notification requirements if workers' compensation is not carried. Purchase actual insurance from insurance agent.
Texas Workforce Commission

120 S. Main Suite 110
Victoria, Texas  77901

(361) 578-0341
Fax:  (361) 575-4636
Screens job applications for employers. Provides workshops and training for employers and employees. Register for Unemployment Insurance.
Texas Workforce Commission Tax Office

3708 N Navarro Suite E
Victoria, Texas  77901

(361) 570-8231
Fax:  (361) 575-4636
Issues state unemployment numbers. Collects state unemployment taxes.