University of Houston-Victoria

General Information for Full and Part-time Faculty



  • Most of this information applies equally to the UH System centers, but procedures and availability of resources may vary to some extent at those locations.
  • See the Faculty Manual on the UHV web site for more extensive information.

Absences From Class--

If you must miss class because of illness or emergency, please notify the school office as soon as possible. Absences for other reasons require approval of the Dean. Please do not arrange for substitute coverage before consulting with the Dean, since issues of liability could arise.


Full-time faculty are expected to assume academic advising responsibilities in their fields and to assist in the preparation of degree plans. Advisors no longer have to sign students’ course selections. Degree plan counselors assigned to each school do the initial advising.

Part-time faculty members are not expected to serve as academic advisers, though they should feel free to share their knowledge of programs and careers with their students.

Audio/Visual Instructional Technology--

If you require any A/V equipment that is not provided in the classroom, please let the school secretary or a center staff member know in advance. Assistance is available in learning to use interactive television, LCD projectors, and other multi-media capabilities.

Class and Course Duration--

Classes and courses should be held for the full scheduled time, including exams. Apprise the Dean of any departures. The length of a course and number of meeting times is governed by rules of the Coordinating Board. Basically, a three-credit course must meet no less than nine times over no less than three weeks (the rule is included in the Faculty Manual I-2.5).

Class Rosters--

Faculty can review their class rosters in the PeopleSoft Self-Service system (Faculty Center). After the 12th class day, it is very important that you check the rosters against the names of students actually attending your courses. Students attending but not on the roster should be informed. They should check on their registration with the Office of Admissions and Records.

Classroom Emergencies--

Building evacuation (fire, bomb threat, or similar alert):

    • Indicate to students whether class will resume if it is possible to return within a specified time.
    • Ask that they assemble at a given place outside to receive any further instructions.
    • Ensure that any disabled students are assisted to the outside. If on an upper floor, take wheelchair students to a stairwell (all stairwells are fireproof), and let EMS personnel know that the students are awaiting removal.
    • Ascertain whether all students are accounted for.
    • Faculty members who are themselves disabled should make advance arrangements for assistance.

Medical or other emergency posing an immediate risk: 

  • Call 911. Then call Security. (Leave voice message, which is immediately forwarded).
  • At the centers you should notify the front desk, as well.
  • Use your judgment about whether to dismiss the class.

Lesser emergency or need for assistance:

  • Call Security. (Leave voice message, which is immediately forwarded).
  • At the centers, you can notify the front desk.

If more appropriate to the circumstances--

  • Call Facilities Services.
  • Call night clerk at extension 136 (evenings) on campus.
  • At the centers, notify the front desk.

UH Systems Centers

Building evacuation (fire, bomb threat, or similar alert):

    • Follow same instructions as above.

Medical or other emergency posing an immediate risk:

      • Call 911 and alert the front desk.

Lesser emergency or need for assistance:

      • Contact the front desk.

Advance information:

  • Faculty teaching at the Katy Center are asked to complete an emergency contact form, which will be kept on file at the front desk.

Computer Use and Support--

E-mail is routinely used for communication within the institution. Please check yours regularly. Minutes of institutional councils and other information are made available by e-mail or the web site. Information Technology conducts scheduled training sessions on the use of e-mail, the Internet, and various software applications. Instructional Support Services also provides training and assistance in the use of instructional technology.


Consulting and Outside Employment--

See the Faculty Manual for Board of Regents’ policy. Outside employment is limited to no more than an average of one day per week and requires notification in advance to the Dean. The institution must report outside employment to the Board annually. The university must also provide information on possible conflicts of interest and expert testimony involving the state.



Copying is available for instructional and professional use. Ask the school’s secretary if you need help. Ask the Dean about the school’s policy on copying if you have a question. In general, a very large distribution of materials to students should be done in advance and sold through the bookstore. Copying and assistance in also available at the teaching centers.

Faculty Development and Orientation--

  • Orientation activities are scheduled each fall. All faculty and staff are welcome to attend. The orientation is particularly for the benefit of new full-time faculty, who are expected to attend.
  • Exchanges of syllabi and class visits, comparisons of standards and evaluation, and discussions of pedagogical techniques are encouraged among all faculty.
  • UHV has funds available for activities that directly enhance teaching effectiveness or scholarly achievement and recognition. See the Faculty Manual for guidance on applying for Faculty Development Funds. See the Dean if you are considering a request for support from school funds.
  • Part-time faculty:The Dean must sponsor any requests for Faculty Development Funds.
  • Instructional technology awards are available to full-time faculty to develop online courses. Awards may be used for released time, overload pay, assistance, or equipment. See your Dean or the Faculty Manual for details. Awards depend on funds available from year to year.

Faculty Council and Senate--

The Faculty Council and its Senate are an important part of the deliberative and decision-making process at the institution, particularly in the areas of curriculum and faculty personnel matters. Full-time faculty are expected to participate in the governance activities of the institution.

Part-time faculty members may participate as non-voting members.

Grade Sheets--

Final grades are to be entered online by the instructor of record for the course. Before the end of the term, the final grade rosters will be available in the PeopleSoft Self-Service system (Faculty Center) for entry during the online grading period. Your punctual entry of final grades enables the institution to provide needed information to students, employers, faculty members and other institutions. Once the online grading period is closed, A Change of Grade Form will be required for any grade not entered or any grade needing to be changed. Please do not change final grades unless you have made an error in calculating the grade. The Dean and usually the Provost must approve changes to final grades.


The Library can assist you and your students in finding and discriminating among a variety of learning resources. The Library provides information sheets on services available, and librarians will be glad to answer your questions and assist you as possible. Note that reading critical to a course can be placed on reserve.


Faculty mail drops are maintained on-campus and at the centers. Please check your box regularly. Full-time faculty members on-campus may have students deposit material through the slot in the member’s office door. Part-time faculty may have students leave materials with the secretary for placing in their boxes.


Faculty offices on-campus are assigned according to seniority as a full-time faculty member at the institution. Each faculty office should have the following standard furnishings: desk (30” x 60”), swivel chair, guest chairs, filing cabinets, wall or free-standing shelves, and computer, plus printer and stand. Schools may choose to provide additional furnishings if needed and if their budgets permit. Please do not relocate furniture or equipment without informing the Provost office. Full-time faculty assigned to the off-campus centers are allocated home office support.


Shared office space is provided for faculty teaching at the centers, and shared space is provided on-campus for part-time and off-campus faculty.

Office Hours--

Online instruction obviously complicates the traditional approach to office hours, but in general faculty members must ensure that they are reasonable available to students outside of class time.

Full-Time Faculty: 

    • Please schedule and maintain a minimum of one office hour per week, per course, at times convenient to students and be available by appointment.
    • Please post your hours, list them on your syllabi, and inform your school secretary of them.
    • When you cannot keep your office hours as scheduled or when you change your scheduled hours, please inform the school secretary and post an appropriate notice on or near your door.
    • Exception: Teaching off-campus courses poses the same kind of difficulties as teaching part-time and should be handled in a manner similar to that indicated below.

Part-time faculty members should set aside some time, before or after class or at other scheduled times, when they can meet individually with students in need of assistance. It is helpful to indicate a telephone number when you can normally be available for class-related calls and/or an e-mail address. The faculty lounge, and any other available space may be used for student conferences. You should schedule at least one hour, for each class taught, when you will be available for student conferences.


All vehicles parked on the Victoria campus must be registered with the University and have a properly displayed valid parking decal. Employees and students at the teaching centers must adhere to the parking regulations at the center, if any.



  • Parking permits are available currently at no charge to students and employees.
  • A separate parking permit is required for each vehicle.
  • Parking permits may be obtained from the Visitor Information Kiosk located in the University Center building.



  • Parking and traffic control on the UHV campus will be administered through the UHV Department of Business Services in University West.
  • Parking related inquires at The Victoria College should be directed to (361) 573-3291.

Teaching Centers:

  • Parking related inquires at UHS-SL should be directed to Security.
  • Parking related inquires at UHS-CR should be directed to the administration offices.

Posting Grades--

Please do not post grades. You may, if you wish, ask that students leave a self-addressed, stamped envelope with you, or you may make other such arrangements for students who want to know their grades before the Registrar’s office can provide them. The Registrar’s office cannot provide grades to students who come by to inquire. Please do not leave graded materials outside your office for students to pick up (materials can be left with the school secretary).

Removal of University Property--

Forms need to be completed for removal of university equipment or furnishings from campus. Schools’ checkout procedures should suffice for instructional equipment, such as lap top computers, that are routinely taken off-campus for a short time.


There is a Scantron Scoring machine available. If you are interested in using it for your exams, your students may purchase the necessary test forms from the bookstore. The school will provide you with the item analysis form and key form. A colleague or staff member can show you how to use the scorer.

Secretarial Help--

Secretarial help is available from the schools. Variations in secretaries’ work schedules are announced. The secretaries can assist you with typing or copying as needed. Please let them know two days before class if you have typing that needs to be done. Large copying chores also require lead time.

Student Evaluations--

Before final exams you will be receiving student evaluation forms, which you are required to use. Instructions for their use are included in the packets.


Prior to the twelfth class day or earlier, as designated by the academic school, faculty must submit a copy of the syllabus for each class to the school secretary and provide one to students. Syllabi must contain at least the following:

1. Course name, number, and term, as well as the instructor's name, office hours, and when and how the instructor can be reached at other times; 

2. A brief description of major learning objectives for the course and of any unusual or distinctive requirements (e.g., a field trip); 

3. A statement of the instructor's policies on grading, attendance, late assignments, make-up work, and any other such matters; and

4. A schedule of assignments for the term--which need not be day-by-day but which should indicate what will be coming up when by way of assignments, examinations, etc.

A syllabus is a course plan for the term, not a contract. However, if changes are desirable, faculty should announce them well in advance, preferably in writing and after consultation with the class. Student grievances are time-consuming and disheartening for all concerned, and they often result from unclear or poorly understood policies and instructions. Being clear and consistent about these can spare problems later on.

Graduate syllabi must ensure that course standards are appropriate for graduate-level studies. In no case may the same syllabus be used for an undergraduate and a graduate course.

The deans are responsible to ensuring compliance with this policy. Syllabi for newly proposed courses are also reviewed and approved by the appropriate committee of the Faculty Senate.

Any cross-listed graduate/undergraduate courses must make a clear distinction between expectations of graduate and undergraduate students—in standards of achievement, in extent or kind of work required, and/or in other ways that are relevant, credible, and explicit.


Please leave with the school secretary a telephone number where you can ordinarily be reached when you are not in class or in your office. The institution must know how to reach you even if you have an unlisted number.

Long-distance calls must be limited to business purposes. Consult the instructions manual or inquire of the school secretary or telephone system coordinator if you have questions about how to use given features.


Let the school secretary know as early as possible of any textbooks to be ordered for your course. The school secretary can also request desk copies, instructor manuals, and test banks, if available.

  • Reminders:
  • Please consider cost in selecting textbooks: If costs must be unusually high, it can’t hurt to explain to students why. They are often unaware of the limited choices available to instructors in given subjects.
  • Please get orders in on time, so that there is opportunity to take care of any problems, the books will be here when needed, and students can be spared unnecessary expense.
  • Order only those textbooks that will be required for assignments. The Library’s reserve room can be used to supplement required texts.
  • The number of texts ordered, should be based on previous enrollments or realistic estimates. Returning unneeded textbooks is an expense that is eventually added to the price of textbooks.
  • The bookstore needs to know right away when classes are canceled or added or enrollments differ from estimates.
  • Keep an eye, as best you can, on changes in editions or books that are going out of print—since students often depend on reselling their texts.
  • Let the bookstore manager know if you have special needs or are experiencing difficulties with the service (or ask the dean to do so).Bookstore managers, like librarians, are essential partners in the educational enterprise and can be very helpful ones.

Online textbook vendors have become a significant option and are being used especially by off-campus and online students.


Mileage reimbursement is available for off-campus teaching and other instruction-related 
activities. It is necessary to fill out a travel form in advance. Rental vehicles can be used, but reimbursement is paid at the Texas mileage rate. Further information regarding travel policies can be found on the Finance website.

The schools are allocated funds for conference travel, and presenters may also apply for Faculty Development Grants.

Part-time faculty members may apply for Faculty Development funds if the dean supports the request as in the interest of the school. School secretaries can help you with travel arrangements and paperwork. 

All expenses other than food require documentation. Ordinarily, you must pay the expenses and then seek reimbursement. Per diem for meals must involve an overnight obligation. The state does not permit reimbursement for meals for day trips, regardless of when one leaves or returns. Per diem is not ordinarily provided if an instructor chooses to stay overnight rather than drive to meet courses on successive days.

Further Information--

Faculty should be reasonably familiar with information available in the catalog, schedule of course offerings,Faculty Manual, and Student Handbook.

Additional documents that may be helpful are listed in the Faculty Manual. These consist mainly of planning and policy documents or UH System and Coordinating Board Manuals. Most of these are available on web sites and in hard copy in the documents area of the Provost’s office.

Faculty Located in the Fort Bend Area--

Procedures and services may vary somewhat from campus to campus. Should you have questions, staff at the campus should be able to assist you. You can also call or email the school office or the Provost’s office.