University of Houston-Victoria

President

President's Cabinet

Meeting Minutes

9:30 A.M., July 11, 2018
President’s Conference Room

Members Present:  Beran, Cobler, Cockrum, Di Leo, Faulk, Jordan-Wagner, Litton, Morgan, Pisors, Salazar, Smith, Thomas, Tomek and Walyuchow

Absent:  Ben-Ur, Dahlstrom, De La Cruz, Lambert and Sutton

Representatives:  Karen Locher, Library and Eric Camarillo, Staff Council

  1. Organizational Business

    1. President’s Updates—Dr. Vic Morgan

      Dr. Morgan discussed the following items.

      • Email Etiquette

        A way to help to help reduce emails is to use the UHV group distributions (All UHV, All Staff, All Faculty, etc.). When using these always remember to use the “Bcc” line rather than the “To” line. This will allow reading the email rather than the list of recipients of the email. The “Bcc” line can be found under “Options.” A similar reduction in emails can be accomplished by using “Reply” instead of “Reply All” when responding to an email.

      • New Position

        Dr. Farhang Niroomand has been on leave for the past year and has now accepted a new position. This position will work and report to the president. Dr. Niroomand will receive a one-course reduction. After visiting with school faculty in Victoria and Katy the position will work toward finding perceptions of the employees that graduate UHV. This position will help build relationships in Victoria and Katy. Dr. Morgan requested that if anyone has thoughts they would like Dr. Niroomand to address with CEOs of corporations or business to visit with Dr. Niroomand.

      • Bright Future Ahead for UHV

        Dr. Morgan said he sees a bright future ahead for UHV. Although without facilities, you cannot grow. Already underway, is a sophomore residence hall that will start in the next two weeks and a new STEM building will be starting in the next eight weeks. These two buildings will make a major difference on campus. He said already in the works is looking about a health and wellness center. This facility will allow for the addition of courses and programs. The expansion in UHV’s co-curricular activities is a vital part. The new Student Center will allow more things to do and provide better access to the library. This will make a major difference in the way the students perceive the campus. Dr. Morgan said he believes that in order for UHV to become a four-year comprehensive university, more face-to-face classes will have to be offered in Victoria. There is progress on the four-year schedule but it needs to be completed. International students have to take 12-hours of face-to-face classes and currently this is not available in Victoria. In the next month, Dr. Morgan said he feels that 65 acres of land will be donated for an athletic facility. We also have the possibility in adding basketball in the near future. He challenged everyone to think seriously about who and what we want UHV to be and it can happen over the next three to five years. We do have to get people involved. We need people who care about the students among the faculty, staff and administration. Get involved and stay involved.

    2. Minutes

      Dr. Thomas moved and Dr. Tomek seconded to approve the minutes of June 13, 2018, as published.

      Motion Carried Unanimously

  2. Business

    1. Academic Affairs Updates—Dr. David Cockrum

      • Dr. Cockrum reported that the School of Business Administration’s dean’s search was unsuccessful. Out of the top two people, there was one visit to UHV and he wrote and withdrew his name. Our current Interim Business Dean James Jordan-Wagner agreed to stay one year in Victoria and will not be able to another year. The university will now go through the Regency for an interim dean position for the next year. He said there was a wonderful turnout for the July 14 New Student Orientation with 250 people jammed into the Ron and Kay Walker Auditorium.
      • Dr. Denee Thomas said the first New Student Orientation the university hosted had 130 students in attendance and a full house (150) was expected at the July New Student Orientation. Orientation is from 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. with a robust orientation for parents as well. The next New Student Orientation is scheduled for August 11.
      • Dr. Beverly Tomek said her area is working on three grants for freshman and transfer students that must satisfy the TSI (Texas Success Initiative) requirement. She is currently working on the Summer Bridge Program pre-grant. Another grant will help with revamping how we handle developmental courses. The other grant will assist with mentoring in the community. Dr. Tomek said there has been positive changes in the Student Success Center. The success coaches have been reclassified in a role that combines staff and faculty functions and will now be required to teach two to three Freshmen Seminar courses, saving time and money for the program.  
    2. Facilities & Finance Updates—Wayne Beran

      • Legislative Appropriations

        The university’s Legislative Appropriations are due to the System shortly. Mr. Beran said do not ask for new Special Items because we have to go back and address requests from previous years. UHV will be requesting reimbursement expenses caused by Hurricane Harvey. Mr. Beran said SBDC (Small Business Development Center) has requested to be moved away from the university as far as funding.

      • Hurricane Harvey

        The last two Harvey items we are addressing are the carpet in the Walker Auditorium and the roof on Jaguar Hall at a cost of $2.1M. 

      • Academic Partnership

        Contract was settled and now working on the design.

      • MOU with the Library

        UHV will run the library and will be addressing how much support is needed by Victoria College.

      • Projects

        -The Ben Wilson project is moving and the attorneys for both sides are getting much closer to an agreement.  

        -The start of the Don and Mona Smith Dorm will be signed off on today.

        -The TPM (Town Plaza Mall) remodel has been broken into two phases. Phase I will address athletics, library storage, SBDC, Kinesiology, landscaping, new roof, upgraded exterior and upgraded bathrooms. Shuttle buses and furniture storage will be relocated to the TPM.

        -STEM building per Mr. Beran, is that we are eight weeks out before we can move forward.

    3. Student Affairs Updates

      Dr. Lambert was not in attendance so there was no report.

    4. University Advancement Updates—Jesse Pisors

      -For FY 2018 the Total Year-to-Date is $884,421 (39% up from last year at this time)

      -Last year at this time we were at $637,951

      -FY 2018 Goal is $1,200,000

      The sold-out Alumni Road Trip to see the Astros/Rangers game in Houston on Sunday, July 29 has 80 alumni and their family and friends attending.

      -UHV received $100,000 from the Rebuild Texas Fund to assist UHV students who were impacted by Hurricane Harvey.

      -University Advancement expects to hear back in 4-6 weeks regarding two larger proposals that have been submitted: $100,000 for Harvey/student relief from the American Red Cross and $166,000 for a chronic kidney disease education and research project from BlueCross BlueShield of Texas.

      -Finalizing the gift of land for the future home of UHV Athletics. A conference call is scheduled between the lawyers.

      -$1M+ proposal to the Johnson Foundation in support of STEM and kinesiology lab equipment and build-out.

  3. Other Items

    --Mr. Walyuchow said getting the land would set athletics on a new path. He said this would allow for more home games for men’s soccer. He congratulated Paul Ebner, UHV Sports Information Specialist and George Rodriguez, Creative Services Manager, on recently being recognized by two organizations in their publications and media contests at the annual College Sports Information Directors Association. UHV brought home nine awards including the top three spots in the Single Sports Program. This is the sixth consecutive year that UHV has been recognized for its work. Mr. Walyuchow said he believe this was the best year yet. Mr. Ebner’s work also includes taking care of the 112,500 hits to our Athletic web site. Last year our hits were around 16,000.

    Mr. Walyuchow said he is working with Randy Faulk for a strong WiFi signal for the soccer field.        

    UHV has 140 athletes for this fall and still getting calls. He said they are working hard to get the numbers up.

    --Dr. Di Leo announced the STEM Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer (NMRS) has been installed in University North and is impressive to see. He said part of the pushback in STEM is the need for organic chemistry equipment to accommodate the labs for a couple of years.

    He said the outfitting of the Totah Building for a speech lab, photo studio, and a design lab with computers is very exciting.

    We already have dual credit students signed up for the fall.

    For the past 13 years ABR has been held at the noon hour, there will be a shift to move the start time to 11:00 a.m. for the fall.

    Dr. Di Leo complimented and thanked Dr. Morgan for his work in the community—interacting with donors and community outreach.

    --Dr. Jordan-Wagner said this would be his last Cabinet meeting at UHV and he felt a lot had been accomplished in one year. He challenged the faculty to come together and get a lot of work done. He thanked everyone for their help and said the School of Business Administration now has new marketing initiatives and a slightly more cohesive faculty.

    Ms. Smith reminded everyone about signing up for the 2018 Corporate Cup events. There will be a kick-off meeting from 3:00-4:00 p.m. this afternoon.

    Ms. Cobler announced that George Rodriguez had been hired as the new Creative Service Manager, replacing Shane Blucher. Marketing and Communications also is working on hiring two graphic designers and a senior secretary.

    Dr. Litton said the School of Education, Health Professions & Human Development have had a busy summer. They have been working on a kinesiology lab and feels when the lab is finished we will see an increase in enrollment in this field.

Meeting adjourned: 11:05 a.m.

Submitted by: Kathy Walton