Missing Student Notification
Section: Student Services
The University of Houston-Victoria takes student safety very seriously. The University has established a policy and procedure designed to identify and assist UHV students who reside in on-campus housing and who have been reported missing for more than 24 hours. This policy ensures our compliance with The Higher Education Opportunity Act (P.L. 110-315) of 2008.
The UHV missing student policy covers residential students who have been determined to have been missing for 24 hours. Residential students are students enrolled at the University of Houston- Victoria who reside in university-owned housing.
- Each semester the Residence Life Office, by the close of business the first day of classes will provide Campus Security and Student Affairs Department with emergency notification information on every residential student.
- Within their housing application, residential students will provide the name and confidential contact information for an emergency contact. This information will remain in their portal profile and will be updated each semester.
- The Residence Life Office will require each residential student under the age of 18 (who is not emancipated) to register confidential contact information for a custodial parent or guardian to be contacted if they are determined to be missing for more than 24 hours.
- Any university employee or an employee of any agencies contracted by the university is required to notify Campus Security by completing “Missing Student Notification Form” if the employee suspects a residential student is missing.
- If there is any indication of foul play, Campus Security will contact the local law enforcement immediately for assistance.
- Once Campus Security receives a missing student report via any source, the following individuals will be notified immediately:
- UHV President
- UHV Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- UHV Vice President of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- UHV Director of Residence Life & University Commons
- School Dean of the student’s major program
- Victoria College Police Chief
- Campus Security may use any or all the following resources to assist in locating a student:
- Through the Residence Life Office, the Director and/or another staff member may be asked to access the student’s room and talk with roommates and other students residing in residential housing.
- Public locations at the university may be searched to find the student (i.e., library, cafeteria, classrooms, etc.)
- A picture ID of the student on campus may be issued to assist in identifying the missing student.
- Student Affairs may try to contact known friends, family, or faculty members for additional information.
- Security may access card access logs to determine last use of the card and track future card use.
- Security may access vehicle registration information for vehicle location and distribution to authorities.
- IT may be asked to look up any student accounts (e.g., blackboard, email, PeopleSoft) for last login and use.
- If a student has been determined to be missing for 24 hours, the Director of Residence Life will notify the student’s emergency contact designated on the emergency contact form or the parent/guardian for students under the age of 18. If the student did not designate an emergency contact, Campus Security will notify local law enforcement.
- Official missing student reports will be referred immediately to Campus Security and local law enforcement.
- New employee and new student orientations will include information on employee and student responsibility to report any potential missing residential student.
This policy does not preclude implementing these procedures in less than 24 hours if circumstances warrant a faster implementation.
Signature Obtained 7/14/2023
Robert K. Glenn, Ph.D.
Next Review Date: July 2026 (3 Years)
Origination: Student Affairs
Missing Student Notification
To expediate the notification, please submit notification of any missing student through our Student Conduct-Incident Reporting form. Upon submission, this form is immediately sent to relevant staff and University Police. The student's designated contact will be contacted as well.
The form can be found at: Missing Student Notification Form
Before completing this form identifying a possible missing student, please consider whether you believe the student is a threat to themselves or others. If so, contact Campus Security immediately. Complete the form after you have contacted Security.
Please provide as much information as possible. Below you will find suggested information that will help us locate the missing student.
- Name of Possible Missing Resident
- Cell Phone Number of the Student if you have it
- How long do you think the student has been missing?
- If you know, where was the student supposed to have been? (Visiting a friend, visiting family, attending class, traveling on a trip, etc.)
- When was the student supposed to have returned?
- What have you done, if anything, to locate the student?
- Other people you have contacted (provide any information you know):
- Name Phone Email Address
- Other information that you think would be helpful for us to know
- Your name
- Your cell phone number