Athletic Program Per Diem
Section: Student Services Index: B-16
Per diem cash funds may be issued for daily meal expense for student athletes, coaches and staff members for specific events on an individual or group basis depending on travel circumstances. Issuance of per diem funds will require:
- Approval of operational procedures by the Vice President for Administration and Finance or designee on an annual basis and any time procedures are revised.
- Designation of a department Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian by the Athletic Department Director.
- Clear documentation and advance approval by the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian and Athletic Department Director for each disbursement.
- Careful monitoring and accountability for all funds disbursed, according to the prescribed procedures.
- Compliance with NAIA financial assistance guidelines to student athletes, if applicable.
Procedures for issuance of athletic program per diem cash shall comply with UHV Policy B-6, Cash Funds and Cash Handling.
All employees are obligated to report any suspected irregularity in the handling of cash (including the receipt or suspected receipt of counterfeit currency) in accordance with SAM 01.C.04, Reporting/Investigating Fraudulent Acts. Reports can be made in several ways as noted on the UHV Institutional Compliance website.
Per Diem Cash: For the purpose of this policy per diem cash is defined as U.S. currency distributed to student athletes, coaches and staff members for daily meal expense while traveling to out of town locations for the purpose of participating in athletic competition.
Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian: For purposes of this policy, in addition to any athletic coordinating duties, this is the person having the fiduciary responsibility to receive, monitor, and safeguard cash received or maintained for athletic team travel purposes.
Request for and Disbursement of Funds
A Student Athlete Per Diem Request (Attachment A) form shall be completed fourteen days in advance of anticipated need and approved by the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian and the Athletic Department Director. A purchase voucher for the amount requested will be prepared and will contain the following information:
- Purpose of trip
- Date needed
- Expected dates of remote/short term operation
- Person(s) responsible for funds (Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian)
The voucher will be approved in workflow by the Athletic Department Director or designee and will be paid by check made payable to the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian at the University’s address. The check must be endorsed and cashed by the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian.
Responsibilities’ of the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian:
- Safekeeping of the funds until disbursed
- Disbursement to the coach
- Ensuring segregation of per diem cash from any other funds
- Maintaining proper documentation
Responsibilities of the coach:
- Safekeeping of the funds until disbursed. Note: While traveling, it is recommended that envelopes with cash be kept in motel/hotel safe.
- Disbursement to student athletes
- Maintaining proper documentation
- When purchasing meals for team consumption, athletic program per diem funds must be collectively used
Responsibilities of the student athletes, coaches and staff members who receive per diem cash for their use:
- Student athletes, coaches and staff members will purchase their own meals using their per diem allowance
- Safekeeping of per diem funds. Lost or stolen per diem cash will not be replaced.
- Coaches and staff members will not claim a travel reimbursement or a business meal expenditure for any meals for which they receive an athletic program per diem
Distribution and Receipt of Cash
Procedures for distribution to student athletes, coaches and staff members and receipt of cash are as follows:
- Upon receipt of check, Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian endorses check and receives cash
- Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian places cash in sealed envelopes per student athlete, coach or staff member with name and amount per day
- Envelopes are disbursed to the coach, who signs Student Athlete Per Diem Cash Receipt Form (Attachment B)
- Coach distributes envelopes to individual athletes, coaches and staff members per day or in lump sum, at the coach’s discretion
- Student athletes, coaches and staff members will sign Per Diem Cash Receipt Form as receipt of acceptance for cash disbursed
- After completion of the trip, the coach will return the receipt form to the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian for verification. Any undistributed cash must also be returned to the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian
- The Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian will prepare a deposit for the undistributed cash and remit to the Finance Cashier:
- Within one working day of receipt if totaling $100.00 or more
- Within five working days of receipt if totaling less than $100.00
- Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian prepares a journal entry to debit expense and credit account from which voucher was paid within 60 days of deposit
Compliance with Cash Handling Policies and Procedure
Any UHV employee who does not comply with the responsibilities outlined in this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination and possible criminal prosecution if fraud is involved.
Reporting of Suspicious Activities, Irregularities in Cash Handling or Suspected Fraud
Any employee (including a student employee) who is aware of or suspects any irregularity in the handling of University cash or fraudulent activities shall:
- Report the activity to his/her supervisor who shall investigate the suspected irregularity and report as specified on the UHV Institutional Compliance website, or
- Report directly as specified on the UHV Institutional Compliance website.
Reporting of Cash Shortages
Cash shortages or overages will be tracked by the Trip Coordinator/Cash Custodian and reported in the following manner:
- Individual shortages or overages of less than $10 may be charged against a department cost center using the cash over/short account.
- Individual shortages or overages of $10 or more, or cumulative annual shortages/overages of $40 or more, must be reported immediately to the Comptroller.
- Individual shortages or overages of $100 or more, or cumulative annual shortages/overages of $100 or more, must be reported immediately in writing to the Comptroller and the UHS Internal Auditing Department.
- UHV Policy B-6, Cash Funds and Cash Handling
- SAM 01.C.04, Reporting/Investigating Fraudulent Acts
- UHV Institutional Compliance website
- Student Athlete Per Diem Request (Attachment A)
- Student Athlete Per Diem Cash Receipt Form (Attachment B)
|Raymond V. Morgan, Jr., Ph.D.
Originating Department: Athletics
Next Review Date: February, 2021