University of Houston-Victoria


Campus Security Authority

Am I a CSA (Campus Security Authority)?

The President has designated all University of Houston–Victoria employees as Campus Security Authorities as defined under the Jeanne Clery Campus Security Policy and Campus Crimes Statistics Act (Clery Act). Everyone is required to report crimes and incidents to the University of Houston Police Department-Victoria (UHPDV) for inclusion in Daily Crime Logs, Timely Warnings, and Emergency Notifications to the campus community, and for our annual Clery Crime Statistics.

Who is not a CSA?

Offenses reported to individuals acting as pastoral or professional counselors, even if they otherwise have responsibility for student and campus activities, do not have to be reported under the Clery Act.

What is my Responsibility as a CSA?

CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes reported to them, on a timely basis to University Police. However, under the Clery Act, CSAs are only obligated to report Clery Act qualifying crimes which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University. CSAs should only report those crimes that have not been previously reported to University Police or another University CSA. The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the CSA role is to acknowledge that some community members and students in particular, may be hesitant about reporting crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals.

CSA Crime Reporting

When a crime is reported to a CSA, first ask the person if they would like to report it to the University of Houston Police Department (UHPD). If so, contact University Police at 361-570-4357 (HELP). If not, for Clery Act qualifying crimes, the CSA must complete and submit, on a timely basis, a Campus Security Authority Crime Report Form. The report form can be submitted to UHPD via email to csa@uh.edu, or via postal mail or in person to:

University of Houston Police Department
Sergeant, Adam Rodriguez

3007 N. Ben Wilson St., #1122
Victoria, Texas 77901

If the reported crime is made in good faith, meaning that there is reasonable basis for believing that the information is not rumor or hearsay, then the crime is Clery reportable. CSAs, when interacting with the crime reporting party, need to gather incident information that would provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident. This means CSA's need to document reporting party responses or lack thereof. Reporting party identifying information should only be included in the Report Form if the reporting party is willing to provide same. CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a Report Form should be completed and submitted.

What is done with CSA Report Forms?

UHPDV reviews CSA Report forms and decides if an incident warrants timely warning/emergency notification of the University community and whether it is a reportable crime in the Annual Security Report. The Clery Act Compliance Officer will consolidate crime data from multiple sources, report qualifying crime data to the federal Department of Education, publish the Annual Security Report and inform the campus community when and where those reports are available. The University of  Houston-Victoria Annual Security Report is published and hard copies are available upon request.