If you have an associates degree in Applied Arts & Sciences or technical or vocational courses from an accredited community or technical college, then the Bachelor of Applied Arts & Sciences (BAAS) may be the degree for you.
APPLIED ARTS & SCIENCES
Legal Assistance and Administration Core Curriculum
10 - English 1301 & 1302 Composition – 6 semester hours
20 - Math 1314 College Math or Higher – 3 semester hours
30 - Natural Sciences – 6 semester hours
Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, or Bio/Physical Science
40 - Humanities – 3 semester hours
Humanities, Literature, Philosophy, Modern or Classical Lit. or Cultural Studies.
50 - Visual/Performing Arts – 3 semester hours
ARTS, MUSI, or DRAM
60 - American History 1301 & 1302 – 6 semester hours
70 - Political Science 2305 & 2306 – 6 semester hours
80 - Social/Behavioral Sciences – 3 semester hours
Anthropology, Criminal Justice, Economics, Geography, Political Science, Psychology or Sociology
90 - Institutionally Designated Option – 6 semester hours
SPCH 1311, 1315, 1318, or 1321
COSC 1301 or 1401, or BCIS 1305
Legal Assistance and Administration Major Requirements
General Program Requirements – 4 semester hours
- ENGL 3430 – Professional Writing
AAS General Requirements – 12 semester hours
- SPCH 1311, 1315, 1318, or 1321 (CORE)
- COSC 1301 or 1401, or BCIS 1305 (CORE)
- COMM 3325 – Advanced Professional Speaking
- COMM 4314 – Intercultural Communication
- HUMA 4322 – Ethics
AAS LD Specialization – 24 - 44 semester hours
- LD Vocational or Technical Credits (AAS track)
AAS UD Specialization – 18 semester hours
18 semester hours. Students must take CRIJ 3316 Ethics of Social Control, MGMT 3304 Legal Environment of Business, or PSCI 4311 Constitutional Law and 15 semester hours from one of the following groups of courses. Students must take at least 3 semester hours from each group.
- Group 1- Management Courses - MGMT 3304 Legal Environment of Business (if not taken to fulfill another requirement); MGMT 4311 Human Resources Management; MGMT 4312 Staffing; MGMT 4313 Compensation; MGMT 4315 Contemporary Issues in Management; MGMT 4300 Selected Topics in Management (by advisement).
- Group 2 - Politics, Law, and Justice - CRIJ 3316 Ethics of Social Control (if not taken to fulfill another requirement); CRIJ 4313 Juvenile Justice System; CRIJ 4318 Victimology; CRIJ 4321 Contemporary Issues in American Policing; PSCI 3310 U.S. Congress; PSCI 3312 U.S. Judiciary; PSCI 3320 Introduction to Public Policy; PSCI 4310 Public Opinion; PSCI 4311 Constitutional Law (if not taken to fulfill another requirement)
UD Free Electives – 9 semester hoursContact us
- s.h. = semester hours
- LD = Lower Division (Community College-Level: Freshman, 1000-level /Sophomore, 2000-level)
- UD = Upper Division (University-Level: Junior, 3000-level /Senior, 4000-level)
- The student is responsible for fulfilling all requirements on this degree plan and is encouraged to review the catalog that governs this degree plan.
- Substitutions in this degree plan must be approved by following the same procedures as for the degree.
- This document is an unofficial guide to your degree. Please contact an advisor for an official degree plan.
- Must meet minimum requirements: 120 s.h. overall, 40 s.h. UD, of which 30 s.h. must be completed at UHV.