International Student Cultural Scholarship
International Student Cultural Scholarship (ISCS) is open to all new and returning F-1 and J-1 international students. The International Student Cultural Scholarship is awarded automatically to the new students during their first semester at UHV. If students wish to receive the scholarship beyond the first semester, students must maintain the International Student Cultural Scholarship (ISCS) requirements listed below. The scholarship covers $3000 per year ($1500 per semester, fall and spring semester). Scholarship only applies to the out-of-state tuition and fees. Additional fees and costs of attendance are not included in this scholarship. The scholarship award can only be used for study at UHV. The scholarship award is available for:
- A maximum of nine semesters (4.5 years) for undergraduate international students meeting the eligibility requirements listed below.
- A maximum of five semesters (2.5 years) for graduate international students meeting the eligibility requirements listed below.
All international students must meet the following requirements to be eligible to receive the International Student Cultural Scholarship (ISCS)
- New F-1/J-1 international students must be admitted to UHV before the scholarship is awarded. Once the student is admitted, the scholarship amount will be listed in the student's immigration document I-20
- F-1/J-1 students must be registered fulltime (concurrent enrollment will not apply, students must be registered for fulltime courses at UHV)
- U.S. transfer international students must be in good immigration status prior to their transfer to UHV
- All new international students must attend the mandatory international student orientation (Late attendees will not be awarded the scholarship)
- Scholarship recipient must pay all outstanding university bills on or before the due dates.
- No application necessary, students will be awarded the scholarship automatically during their first semester. If a student fails to maintain the scholarship requirements, students must submit the Scholarship Appeal to the International Programs Office. The International Programs Scholarship Committee will review the appeals and make a decision.
Requirements to maintain the International Student Cultural Scholarship
Please note, all international students must fulfill the following requirements to receive the International Student Cultural Scholarship.
- Undergraduate international students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Graduate international students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Contribute 10 volunteer hours every semester (fall and spring) assisting International Programs Office to host events such as the International Festival, International Education Week and International Sash Ceremony. The events will be emailed to students every Wednesday when school is in session. Mandatory international student orientation will cover instructions of the scholarship in depth.
International Student Cultural Scholarship Cancellation
Failure to fulfill any eligibility requirement will result in the cancellation of the scholarship. If a recipient's Cultural Scholarship is canceled and the recipient wishes to appeal the decision before the semester begins, the recipient must submit a completed International Student Cultural Scholarship Appeal Form via email to on or before May 30th for the fall semester and December 20th for the spring semester. More details will be emailed to students regarding their scholarship before the end of the semester.
Students will be notified via email on cancellation, appeal deadlines, appeal decisions, and awards. It is the student’s responsibility to determine their eligibility to apply, maintain, reapply and appeal for the scholarship and be aware of the respective deadlines.
Exchange Students/ Short Term International Students
- Direct exchange students – those whose tuition and fees are waived – are required to complete Cultural Scholarship hours
- Visiting International Students Exchanges/ Short Term - are students from overseas universities who come as fee-paying students. They must maintain International Student Cultural Scholarship requirements every semester.
Requirement based on Immigration Status
- You must be admitted at the University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) as an International Student who is on F-1 or J-1 visa or planning to obtain one of those two immigration status upon enrollment.
- Students on work visas such as H-1B or another non-immigrant status’ WILL NOT qualify for the International Student Cultural Scholarship.
- F-1 or J-1 students on pending permanent residency statuses may still be eligible for the Cultural Scholarship the semester on F-1 status if the student is a full international tuition rate, however, the following semester after their SEVIS record has been changed to permanent resident, they will not be eligible for the Cultural Scholarship if granted resident rate.
- Students on change of status (COS) pending will not be eligible until the F-1 or J-1 status is approved on or before the date listed on their immigration document.
Students who are not eligible
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship or tuition scholarship or other waivers
- UHV Athletes receiving Athletics Scholarships and other waivers
- Students receiving International Student Merit Scholarship
- Students receiving any other UHV tuition scholarships and waivers
- Students paying Texas resident tuition fees
- Students on other non-immigrant visa categories