University of Houston-Victoria

International Programs


On Campus Employment for F1 Students

F1 students are generally permitted to work part-time on the campus of the school that issued their currently valid I-20 (UHV) while they are attending that school and maintaining F1 status. On-campus employment does not need to be authorized by the immigration service, and is a benefit of the F1 visa status.

On-campus employment at UHV is arranged through the Office of Career Services. Some examples of on-campus employment for undergraduate students are working in the computer lab, department offices, and dorm facilities in Jaguar Hall where UHV courses are delivered.  Examples of graduate student employment may include Graduate Assistant/Teaching Assistant positions. 

F1 students may be employed on-campus through the duration of their program and it will have no affect on post-completion Optional Practical Training. Work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and may be full-time during official school breaks.  It can be full-time during summer vacation period for students who are eligible and intend to register for the subsequent fall term. On-campus employment does not have to relate to the student's program of study. Students eligible for "special student relief" may be approved by the DSO to work full-time.