University of Houston-Victoria

Institutional Research Effectiveness

Curriculum Development

If you want to make a change to the UHV curriculum, you have come to the right place.

Form to add, delete, or change a course

If you wish to propose a new core course, read this information first

Form to propose a new program, change a degree plan, or close a program

If you wish to propose a new program, read this information first

If you wish to complete a curriculum change form in more than one sitting, follow these steps

  1. Begin the form, but do not click “submit” on the final screen.
  2. Close the form when you are done for that session.
  3. Email and request the unique link to your already started proposal.
  4. When the form is complete to your satisfaction, click “submit.”


Notes on the process

The Curriculum Change process is described in the Faculty Manual section K-1 through K-3.

Changes to courses or programs should be initiated by faculty in the discipline, and proposals will be reviewed by peer faculty within the school, the school dean, the Faculty Senate, and the Provost. The Registrar will update the Academic Catalog once each year. For inclusion in the following year’s Academic Catalog, all proposals should clear the Faculty Senate by May, and external approvals should be in hand by June.


Curriculum development and external regulators

Many kinds of changes also require notifying UHS, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and SACSCOC, and some kinds of changes require approval from those regulators. If approval is required, a program may not begin accepting students until after approval is received. A minimum of 18 months should be allowed to get all necessary approvals for new programs.

What to do while waiting for a program to get approved

Before seeking approval for a new program, there must be a qualified faculty member serving as program coordinator. While waiting for approval, UHV may recruit students, but no students may be accepted until after approval is received. There should be no students assigned to degree plans of programs that are not approved. If a program involves a collaborative arrangement with another university, a signed agreement must be in place before students are accepted and courses offered. Advertising, the website, and the Academic Catalog must state “pending SACSCOC approval.”

Information about external notification and approval of curriculum changes

SACSCOC Substantive Change (most, but not all, changes that require SACSCOC notification or approval will also require THECB approval)

THECB New Programs (all programs requiring THECB approval must first be approved by the UHS Provost’s Council and Board of Regents)

THECB Changes to Existing Programs

Collaborative degree programs and agreements with other institutions (not including articulation agreements, 2+2 agreements, pathways, etc.)


Off-campus teaching sites and distance education

SACSCOC and THECB also require notification and approval of courses and programs that are offered away from the Victoria campus. There are questions on the curriculum development forms that will help the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness keep track of any changes that might require reporting the location.

Off-campus teaching sites include Katy, high schools where dual credit is offered, and other locations that are not at 3007 Ben Wilson Street. If more than 50% of a program will be offered at a location other than Victoria or Katy, please contact the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness and allow 8 months to get approval before holding the first day of class.

Distance education means online courses and programs. A fully online program is one in which 85% of the credits are earned in online classes, but some reporting requirements are triggered if only 50% of the credits are online.

Information about UHV locations

THECB Distance Education Program Search (an interactive tool to find which programs are approved for off-campus instruction)

Classes offered at high schools for dual credit

Dual Credit MOUs must be posted on UHV’s and the partner ISD’s websites and must contain the following information: an alignment of the program goals with statewide goals; a crosswalk between the dual credit courses and high school courses; a description of academic support; and a description of how quality and rigor will be ensured.