University of Houston-Victoria values you as an employee and we are committed to your success. We understand it can be a challenge at times to balance work with your personal and family life.
UHV offers programs, policies and practices to address some of these challenges and help our employees create a healthy balance between work and personal responsibilities.
Flexible Work Schedule
The University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) realizes its employees are its most important resource. In recognition of this, the university offers an Alternative Work Scheduling Program (Program) to benefits eligible staff.
University of Houston-Victoria encourages the use of workplace flexibility to support the well-being of our employees and achieve our workplace goals. Although not every position can take advantage of these arrangements, there are often options for a flexible work schedule that can be customized to work for both the department and the individual. A flexible work schedule may benefit employees and departments and contribute to a positive work/life culture. Some examples include:
- Extended hours of operation for more customer service (more hours with the same amount of staff);
- Reduced turnover;
- Improved morale, commitment, and productivity.
Requesting a Flexible Work Schedule
Review the Alternative Work Schedule policy, discuss your desired work schedule with your direct supervisor, and complete the Alternative Work Request form. Upon approval from the supervisor, please forward the request form to Human Resources.
Fitness Release Time
Participation is open to full-time, benefits-eligible staff completing six (6) months of employment.
Employees eligible to participate in the Fitness Release Time Program may request up to 30 minutes per day, 3 days per week, with a maximum of one and one-half (1.5) hours of release time per week, for participation in an exercise program or wellness activity. Application approval is required in advance of participation. Written approval of the Department Head and the Cabinet Level Supervisor is required.
To apply for Fitness Release Time, please complete the Fitness Release Time Application form.
Employees are eligible to receive eight (8) hours of Wellness Leave that can be earned every 12 months. This leave may be taken in increments of no less than 4 hours and must be taken within 12 months of earning the leave. To qualify for the Wellness Leave incentive, an eligible employee must complete an approved online Health Risk Assessment (HRA), receive an annual comprehensive physical exam, AND submit the Physician's Certification for Wellness Leave signed by a licensed healthcare provider indicating that a physical examination has been completed. Visit the BCBS Health Assessment flier for complete instructions on how to access the assessment.
Once you complete the assessment, take a screenshot of the confirmation page (no personal details), complete your section on the Affidavit for Wellness Leave, then have your physician and supervisor complete their portion. Once the form is complete, return the form and confirmation of online health assessment to Human Resources for processing.
To apply for Wellness Leave, please complete the Affidavit for Wellness Leave.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The University's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provider, Deer Oaks EAP Services, is available to all UHV benefits-eligible employees and their dependents. EAP services are confidential and offered at no cost to the employee. Employees can access services virtually and in person.
Available 24/7, you and your dependents are entitled to 3 free counseling sessions per issue per year. Well-versed in helping clients of all ages, Deer Oaks professionals provide counseling sessions for all types of life concerns. Some of the most common reasons that employees contact the EAP are:
Deer Oaks EAP also provides tools and/or referrals for the following and more:
We are pleased to offer the University of Houston-Victoria Staff and Faculty several discounts on local products and services.
Special offers are available at:
- Beneplace - Discounts for State of Texas employees, retirees, and their immediate families
- Blue 365 Deals - Discounts available for BCBSTX members and sign up to receive weekly "Featured Deals" emails
- DeTar Health & Fitness Center - Discounts for gym memberships. UHV employees can present proof of employment and receive $10 OFF a monthly gym membership.
- Fast Park & Relax - FastPark offers all University of Houston employees great airport parking rates of $4.69 at Bush and $5.07 at Hobby with a free corporate membership. FastPark Austin offers employees 15% off the public rate.
- Nino Properties - Offers a variety of services, such as buyer & seller representation, rental assistance, furnished housing, property management, and corporate relocation.
- YMCA Barbara Bauer Briggs Family - Discounts for gym memberships. UHV employees can present proof of employment and receive 50% OFF a monthly gym membership.