University of Houston-Victoria

Human Resources

Retirement Checklist

Teacher Retirement System (TRS)

  • Contact TRS six months prior to retirement (suggested) to allow sufficient time for completion of TRS required-forms.

Optional Retirement Program (ORP)

  • Contact your ORP provider or financial advisor three months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations.

Notifications (At least six month's notice is recommended)

  • Notify Human Resources of your intent to retire from UHV.
  • Notify your supervisor of your intent to retire from UHV.

Retiree Insurance

Insurance does not automatically continue when you retire. Information concerning eligibility for UHV retiree insurance can be found on the Retiree Insurance Overview page. Eligible retirees must take the following actions to ensure a smooth transition.

  1. TRS retirees must submit a copy of their TRS 30 Application for Service Retirement to Human Resources. ORP retirees must complete the ORP termination notice.
  2. Complete TRS/ORP Retiree Insurance Enrollment Form and return to the Human Resources Office.
  3. Billing for retiree insurance is managed by ERS.

Personal Information

  • Ensure your address, email and emergency contact information is current in PASS.


  • Medicare is administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA) and is available at age 65 (younger if due to a disability). Human Resouces highly recommends that retirees contact Medicare at least three months prior to when you need benefits to start. Retirees should enroll in Medicare Parts A and B online or by phone at (800) 772-1213.
  • If eligible for the state retiree insurance, retirees should always decline enrollment in parts C and D.
  • If over age 65, please request forms CMS-40B and CMS-L564 from the SSA. Form CMS-L564 should be sent to the Human Resources office for completion by the HR Services Manager.

Social Security Benefits

  • Social Security benefits are available at age 62 or older. Retirees should contact the SSA at least three months before the date you want benefits to start. You may apply online, in person, or by calling the SSA at (800) 772-1213. Please note that not all individuals are able to apply online or by phone.

Voluntary Retirement Programs

  • Individuals currently or previously contributing to the 403(b) and/or the 457(b) should contact their provider or financial advisor to review distribution options and beneficiary designations. Human Resources suggests that you contact your provider or financial advisor at least three months prior to retiring.

Sick Leave Pool Donation

  • Accrued Sick leave is not paid to you when you retire, however you may donate your unused balance to the Sick Leave Pool. If interested, please complete and submit a Sick Leave Pool Donation Form to Human Resources.