University of Houston-Victoria

Human Resources

Employment After Retirement

The rules for returning to work after retirement are different for TRS and ORP retirees.

If you retire from the university through TRS or ORP and then return to work, you'll continue receiving benefits as a retiree. You cannot contribute to TRS or ORP programs due to your retired status, but you are still eligible to contribute to the Voluntary Retirement Programs.

TRS Retirees

If you are a TRS participant who plans to work in Texas public education after retiring, you should carefully review all requirements that apply to your situation to ensure that you do not revoke your retirement or lose your monthly annuity payments by virtue of working in excess of allowable limits set by TRS.  TRS Retirees should review the TRS Employment After Retirement Brochure (PDF) provided by TRS and contact TRS directly if considering returning to work.

TRS Employment after Retirements Limits

ORP Retirees

Texas ORP retirees may return to work at any time without restrictions on employment.

ERS Retiree Insurance Implications

If as a retiree, you participate in the ERS group insurance program and become employed by UHV in a benefits-eligible position, you are considered an active employee and are eligible to enroll in the university group insurance program.