Affirmative Action Program
9. Outreach, Recruitment, and Policy Dissemination
UHV in conjunction with UHS has reviewed its employment practices to determine whether personnel programs provide the required affirmative action for employment and advancement of qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
While UHV in conjunction with UHS, believes that there are no deficiencies in its current employment practices with respect to these employees, it has planned the following outreach, positive recruitment, and policy dissemination programs to augment its existing affirmative efforts:
Outreach and Positive Recruitment
- UHV will actively recruit qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans;
- UHV will request its recruiting sources to actively recruit and refer qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans all positions;
- UHV will enlist the assistance and support of local recruiting sources, social service agencies, and organizations especially knowledgeable about the availability of qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans. These sources will be informed of UHV AAP and will be requested to refer qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans for employment consideration, including those not currently in the workforce who have requisite skills. UHV will also notify local organizations, community agencies, secondary schools, and colleges known to specialize in assisting individuals with disabilities and protected veterans about UHV’s policy of affirmative action and request their advice, assistance, and referrals of potential employees, including those who are not currently in the work force but who have requisite skills. To find the agencies that UHV is enlisting assistance and support from, please see Appendix A;
- UHV will include and place appropriate emphasis on pictures with women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans when employees are pictured in advertisements, brochures, handbooks, webpages, and other similar System publications;
- UHV will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified special disabled veterans; and,
- UHV will review the employment records of qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans to determine the availability of promotable, qualified individuals with disabilities, and to determine whether present and potential skills are being fully utilized or developed.
Internal Dissemination of UHS’ Affirmative Action Policy
- UHV will publicize its affirmative action policy in the procedures manual and other media;
- UHV will discuss its affirmative action policy include it in meetings with administrative, management and supervisory personnel and during special meetings with the appropriate operating councils, or committees;
- UHV will post the System antidiscrimination policies online and in areas highly trafficked by employees;
- UHV will inform new students and hires of the equal opportunity and affirmative action policies during the new student and employee orientation or other welcoming event;
- The Chancellor of UHS and/or President of UHV, will make periodic proclamations, both verbal and written, to management and supervisory personnel in support of the System’s affirmative action program;
- UHS’ Assistant Vice-Chancellor for EOS will send periodic memoranda explaining various aspects of the AAP, discussing new laws and requirements and delineating areas where improvement is necessary to all individuals with hiring authority throughout the System; and
- UHV will include the System’s equal opportunity and affirmative action policies in mandatory EEO/AA training sessions for all personnel.
External Dissemination of UHV’S Affirmative Action Policy
- UHV will inform recruiting sources that they should actively recruit and refer qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans for all positions listed;
- All position advertisements for UHV will include its commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action (below) and carry the UHV logo.
The University 0f Houston-Victoria is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- UHV will incorporate the equal employment opportunity clause in purchase orders, leases, and contracts, et cetera, covered by OFCCP regulations;
- UHS will inform University sub-contractors, vendors, and suppliers of the its affirmative action policy and requiring written compliance agreements from them; and,
- UHV will require supervisors, including human resources, contracts and purchasing, and information services to be responsible for monitoring the external dissemination of the policy.