Check In Out Procedures
- Students are required to check into their residence hall space by presenting a photo ID or their Paw Pass to the Residence Life staff.
Upon checking in, students will receive a room condition report, room key, and mailbox key.
- At checkout, the student must schedule a time to meet with their RA who will check the student out of their room. The student’s room key and mailbox key must be returned at checkout.
- Residents will be responsible for returning their room to the original condition at checkout (i.e., floors mopped, dusted or vacuumed, furniture back in place and dusted, and trash removed). Residents will be responsible for damages and will be assessed charges, as applicable.
- Residents who vacate the halls are responsible for removing from the building and premises any property which they own or used during their occupancy. Failure to remove excess property will result in improper checkout charges, plus charges for removal by the university, and potentially storage charges at the discretion of DRL. In addition to regular cleaning charges, which are assessed for a dirty room at checkout, removal charges will be assessed for property such as tables, chairs, sofas, refrigerators, street signs, bricks, lumber and similar items that by their nature cannot be disposed of through the normal university trash disposal system or require extra effort to remove.
LOCKED OUT OF YOUR ROOM OR BUILDING?
During business hours, go to the front desk of your residence hall and inform them you are locked out. During non-business hours (after hours, weekends and holidays) call the RA on-call and inform them that you are locked out of your room. If you are locked out of your building contact UHV Security (361-570-HELP).
After three lock outs, a mandatory key replacement charge ($50) and/or conduct action may occur.
ROOM ENTRY BY STAFF
University officials, including DRL staff, housekeeping and facilities personnel, may enter rooms to fulfill their daily duties, in cases of emergencies, or in cases of reasonable suspicion of activity endangering the individual or community, or in cases where there is suspicion of policy violation.
- Residents will be notified at least 24 hours in advance, unless there is an emergency.
- Unannounced fire safety checks as mandated by the fire marshal may take place at any time.
- Health and safety inspections may occur a minimum of once per semester when rooms are inspected for cleanliness, damage to property and fire hazards.