University of Houston-Victoria



Q: Are the residence halls open?
A: Yes, the UHV residence halls are open. Residence Life expects to remain open through the end of the spring semester, and throughout the summer and fall.

Q: What is the procedure for moving out of the residence halls?
A: If you are currently on campus, you can begin moving out immediately. You do not need to sign up for a checkout time. When removing your belongings from your residence hall room, you must:

  • Bring your own packing, moving and cleaning supplies.
  • Report to the front desk at Jaguar Hall to complete your checkout once you have vacated and cleaned your room.

There will be no room inspections upon checkout. However, egregious or intentional damages to the room may be charged to the resident. If you have already moved all of your belongings out and do not need to return to campus, please contact housing at to make arrangements for returning your key (if applicable) and getting officially checked out.

Q: What are the expectations for cleanliness when I leave my space? Can I check out cleaning supplies?
A: We ask that you remove all items, trash and belongings. Do your best to clean your space with the supplies you have or supplies you bring with you. We will not be checking out cleaning supplies to limit germ transference from people handling the same objects.

Q: Do you have carts available to check out?
A: To limit germ transference, we will not be able to check out moving supplies, carts, etc. Please bring your own packing and moving supplies.

Q: What information is available about postal services for residents?
A: Residents are encouraged to begin forwarding their mail to their preferred destination. For students staying in emergency housing, mail will be routed to another desk, and students will be informed about where to pick it up.

Q: What if I moved all my belongings out of my room and want to mail my key back?
A: After you formally have notified the housing department that you have moved out and removed all your items, you can mail your key back to Residence Life following the specifications listed below. Residence Life is not responsible for returned keys that are lost in the mail:

  • Key must be sent via Certified Mail or FedEx.
  • Key must be placed in a sturdy envelope that cannot be easily damaged by the key inside. It is recommended that you use a bubble mailer/envelope.
  • Key must be mailed to:
    University of Houston-Victoria
    Residence Life
    2705 Houston Hwy.
    Victoria, TX 77901

Q: How are you going to maintain social distancing when so many students are moving out?
A: We will support social distancing by the checkout schedule we have developed. We encourage all students to practice social distancing during this time on campus.

Q: If I remain in campus housing, can I come and go as I want?
A: We encourage residents to practice social distancing and refrain from large gatherings of more than 10 people. We also ask that you have no visitors or overnight guests.

Q: How do I contact my residence hall front desk if I have questions about housing?
A: For general questions, contact the main housing office from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 361-485-4404.

Q: Will university staff be on campus to help support students in housing?
A: There will be staff on call to support students and respond to emergencies.

  • Residence halls will have entrance doors locked 24/7. Residents will be able to access their hall by swiping their Paw Pass.
  • Our Residence Life staff will operate out of our Jaguar Hall office to support students. Our Jaguar Hall phone number is 361-485-4404. We are working on a virtual option for students who are away from campus and need information.
  • We will continue to have staff available 24/7 for on-call emergency assistance. If the front desk of your residence hall is closed, please contact our RA on-call phone at 361-485-0569.
  • No equipment check-outs will be available.
  • Report maintenance issues through the Maintenance Request link on the Housing portal.
  • There will not be any residence hall programming.
  • No guests will be permitted.

Q: What about damages and refunds?
A: Once you check out, staff will assess your space for damages. All damages will be billed to your university account. Students who cancel and check out will be provided a refund to their university accounts. All refunds will be processed within 10 business days of checking out.

Q: Will my financial aid change?
A: If you have federal financial aid and withdraw from classes prior to March 28, there could be consequences to your current financial aid package. For financial aid recipients who check out from housing and withdraw from all classes, refunds may take slightly longer as the university must comply with federal regulations to calculate your remaining financial aid eligibility. Please contact Financial Aid if your financial aid package will be affected.

Q: If I have an outstanding conduct case, will I still have to meet with a conduct officer? What happens with my sanctions?
A: Please contact Michael Wilkinson, senior director of student services and judicial affairs, at with questions related to conduct.

Q: How frequently are common areas cleaned?
A: Our staff is cleaning and disinfecting daily. All high-touch areas – such as door handles, faucet handles, flush handles, elevator buttons and drinking fountains – are disinfected a minimum of two times daily.

Q: I am receiving an error message on the myHousing Portal. What should I do?
A: If you are receiving an error message when clicking the myHousing portal that states "I don't have permission to view this page,” please use another browser. We are working to resolve this issue. If the error continues, please contact us at

Q: What are the housing plans for summer and fall?
A: Residence Life is currently open and plans to remain open for both the summer and fall terms. If you’ve not applied for summer or fall and wish to, please log into your myHousing portal and follow the links to apply.