University of Houston-Victoria

Financial Aid


Veteran Affairs Educational Benefits

The University of Houston–Victoria is proud to support the education of veterans. Our Office of Financial Aid is ready to help you apply for benefits for you, your child, or your spouse.

We are approved by the Texas Education Agency to provide Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits under Chapters 32 and 35, Title 38, U.S. Code.

To expedite payments, veterans should contact the Office of Financial Aid at least 60 days prior to the first class day of each semester or term to complete the necessary forms and paperwork for that period of study.

VA enrollment is certified up to 10 days prior to the first class day of each semester; however, you are responsible for notifying your VA Certifying Official if your enrollment changes.

VA Forms and Publications

Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training: For veterans who received VA benefits at another institution prior to attending UHV. Due before your first semester at UHV

Form 22-5490 Application for VA Benefits: For dependents of disabled or deceased parents (Chapter 35)

Form 22-5495 For dependents who are continuing their Chapter 35 benefits

Form 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits: Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 1606, and Chapter 1607 Veterans applying for VA Benefits for the first time

Form 22-1905: Sent by Regional VA Counselor at the request of Chapter 31 veterans

Other Requirements

All Chapter 30 and 1606 veterans applying for benefits must submit a copy of their DD-214 and a signed UHV degree plan.

First-term students without a degree plan should meet with a degree plan counselor before the end of the first term. If a degree plan is not submitted, your VA benefits for your second term may not be certified.

To continue receiving the VA benefits, students must certify their enrollment electronically with the VA each month: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.).

Military Transcripts

Information about military transcripts and how to request the transcripts is available on the Joint Services Transcript website.

Financial Aid Options for Veterans & Their Families

Post 9/11 GI Bill®

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

Hazlewood Tuition Exemption

Texas veterans with no eligibility remaining under any U.S. government programs may be eligible for tuition and fee exemption under provisions of the Hazlewood Act. The exemption provides an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans that have exhausted their VA Educational Benefits. Information can be found with Student Billing at UHV.

College Scholarships for Military Veterans

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance for military spouses pursuing degree programs, licenses, or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields. Spouses can contact MilitaryOneSource for education counseling and help in finding alternative funding sources. Call toll free at: 1 (800) 342-9647.

Federal, State and Institutional Grants, Scholarships and Loans

All students are eligible to apply for financial assistance.  The first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  For more information about UHV Financial Aid process, go to

Spouse Employment Opportunities and Programs

National Resource Directory

The National Resource Directory connects wounded warriors, service members, veterans, their families, and caregivers with those who support them. The website includes information on Benefits & Compensation; Education & Training; Employment, Family & Caregiver Support; Health, Homeless Assistance; Housing; Transportation & Travel; Volunteer Opportunities; and Other Services and Resources.

Co-Enrollment at Another Institution

Veterans co-enrolled at another institution must inform the UHV VA Certifying Official of their co-enrollment status, so we can initiate a Parent Institution Letter.

Ruby Dean, VA Certifying Official for last names A-H
Telephone Number (361) 570-4129

Deborah George, VA Certifying Official for last names I-P
Telephone Number (361) 570-4132

Deanna Straarup, VA Certifying Official for last names Q-Z
Telephone Number (361) 570-4172


Office of Financial Aid
University of Houston–Victoria
3007 N Ben Wilson Rm 110 UW
Victoria, TX 77901-5731

- OR -

Veterans Administration Regional Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402
Telephone: (888) 442-4551

Additional Resources for Veterans

BLS Employment Data: Monthly reports on current national unemployment and veteran unemployment rates.

Choosing the Right School Guide: Includes information on the degree programs you can study under the GI Bill, the importance of school accreditation, and more.

GI Bill Comparison Tool: An online tool to help you make well-informed decisions about the future by networking with your fellow veterans.

Economic Opportunities for Veterans: Archive for the VA Employment ListServ email Library.

eBenefits: Research, find, access, and manage your VA benefits and personal information.

Veteran Employment Services Office: For veterans seeking employment in the federal government, particularly the VA.

Rate Tables: To determine the rate of benefit use based on start date of class.

Basic Allowance for Housing Calculator: To determine Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) based on duty zip code, pay grade, and year.