University of Houston-Victoria

Financial Aid

Office of the Ombudsman

The Department of Education created an Office of the Ombudsman for students to contact when needing assistance with discrepancies about loan balances and payments, resolving issues related to consolidation, service quality, default status, bankruptcy, etc.  If the student's loan issue is not resolved by the institution, lender or guarantee agency, they have the right to contact the Office of the Ombudsman. Contact information includes:

U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group 
P.O. Box 1843
Monticello, KY 42633
Toll Free: (877) 557-2575
Fax:  (606) 396-4821
For more information, go to:

You can also contact the Ombudsman through the secure assistance online request form.

If you have a dispute about your private student loan, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.