Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Programs
To learn about the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Programs, we are providing a Direct Loan website link from Federal Student Aid. Students and parents can explore the site for information about the Direct Loan Program, including helpful publications and tools to help manage their Direct Loans.
Steps to Complete the Loan Application Process
Students interested in applying for student loans must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
New student loan borrowers at UHV are required to complete an Entrance Counseling session. The counseling session will help you:
- Understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower
- Provide information about the loan programs and terms
- Entrance Counseling must be completed in a single session. It takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.
- The website to complete the entrance counseling session is https://StudentLoans.gov
- You will need a FSA ID and Password to complete the session.
- Federal loan interest rates are located online.
All new student loan borrowers attending UHV will need to complete a Direct Loan Electronic Master Promissory Note located at https://StudentLoans.gov.
4. Additional Information:
- UHV FY2014 Cohort Default(CDR) rate is 5.4, Texas FY2014 CDR is 10.4, National FY2014 CDR is 11.5
- When student borrowers graduate, withdraw from a term or drop below 1/2 time enrollment, they are required to complete an exit counseling session. The website to complete the exit counseling session is https://StudentLoans.gov. A Return of Title IV Funds calculation will be processed if a student withdraws, which may result in a balance owed to UHV.
- You have the right to cancel all or a portion of the loan(s) by contacting our office within 14 days of the date the student was notified of his/her loan disbursement. The funds will be returned to your lender by either electronic funds transfer (EFT) or check.
- If loans were accidentally declined or to request additional loan funds later in the year. students can complete a loan request form in the eforms system. It is recommended that the student should contact a Financial Aid Specialist prior to completing this form. Once awarded, the student will need to accept, modify or decline the loan awards in myUHV Self-Service (https://www.uhv.edu/myUHV/)
Federal Direct Student Loans Interest Rates
Federal Direct Student Loans 2018-2019 Interest Rate Effective for Loans First Disbursed on or after July 1, 2018
|Loan Type||Borrower Type||Fixed Interest Rate|
|Direct Subsidized Loans||Undergraduate Students||5.05%|
|Direct Unsubsidized Loans||Undergraduate Students||6.6%|
|Direct Unsubsidized Loans||Graduate/Professional Students||7.6%|
Federal Student Loan Origination Fees
|Federal Student Loan Origination Fees||October 1, 2017 - September 30, 2018||October 1, 2018 - September 30, 2019|
|Direct Stafford Loan - Subsidized (Undergraduate Students)||1.066%||1.062%|
|Direct Stafford Loan - Unsubsidized (Undergraduate Students)||1.066%||1.062%|
|Direct Stafford Loan - Unsubsidized (Graduate/ Professional Students)||1.066%||4.248%|