University of Houston-Victoria

Financial Aid

Work Study Program Guide for the Student Employee

Table of Contents

Any questions regarding the procedures as outlined herein can be directed to the Office of Financial Aid, Room 110 or by calling (361)570-4130.


The Federal College Work Study Program (FCWSP) and the Texas College Work Study Program (TXCWSP) provide part-time employment for qualified students who can earn funding for part of their educational expenses in order to continue and/or complete their education. The programs are subsidized by the federal/state government(s) and provide funding to assist students both on campus and off-campus at public or private non-profit organizations.

Program Eligibility

Since Work Study is a form of federal/state financial aid, a student must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine the student’s unmet need in order for College Work Study (CWS) to be awarded. Texas residents who are not U.S. citizens can complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid. College Work Study is frequently awarded in conjunction with other types of financial aid programs in a package. This package may consist of various types of aid such as grants, loans, and/or scholarships.

To be eligible for Federal and State student aid, an applicant must:

  1. Be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or eligible non-citizen,
  2. Demonstrate documented need for need-based financial help,
  3. Have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or by completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law,
  4. Be enrolled or accepted as a regular student in an eligible degree seeking program,
  5. Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP),
  6. Must meet enrollment status requirements,
  7. Have registered with the Selective Service if male,
  8. Not be in default on any educational loan or owe a refund on any educational grant,
  9. Not been convicted of possession or sale of drugs while receiving Federal Title IV Aid,
  10. Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).
  11. Sign certifying statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stating that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

The Texas Work Study Program differs from the federal program in that it is restricted to residents of the state of Texas, students enrolled at least half-time, and the students cannot be a recipient of any form of athletic scholarship during the term the student is receiving Texas College Work Study.

Enrollment and Satisfactory Academic Progress is continuously monitored and verified by the Office of Financial Aid each term. Once a student ceases to be enrolled or placed on Financial Aid Suspension, his or her employment will immediately be terminated.


Amount of Award

The student’s Work Study award is determined by the Office of Financial Aid. The award is the total gross dollar amount a student may earn during the award period. Award amounts depend upon each student’s financial need, available funding, and the student’s acceptance of the awarded amount. Depending upon the student’s award, work schedule and rate of pay, the student may or may not earn his or her entire award.

Once awarded, each student will receive an email from the Office of Financial Aid. This email will direct the student to myUHV to view his or her financial aid status which will indicate the total dollar amount awarded each term. The student must accept the Work Study Award in myUHV. The award will be either term specific (FALL or SPRING) or academic year specific (FALL and SPRING). The total dollar amount will be divided into terms and will create a limit for fall and a limit for spring. If a student exceeds the specified limit in the fall, they may begin earning the spring award if they plan to attend in the spring. The Office of Financial Aid will decrease the spring award for the following term to cover the hours worked in the fall term.


Award Revisions

Occasionally, changes in policies, regulations, enrollment status, and financial need may cause a student’s financial aid award to be adjusted or reduced. A student’s College Work Study award may have to be adjusted downward if awarded additional grant, scholarship, waiver, or exemption aid or there is a reduction in the financial need, such as a change in the number of hours enrolled which would reduce the cost of attendance. The reduction in the work study award will help prevent an over-award situation (the student is given too much financial aid).

This revision will affect the student’s remaining award. When this occurs, the Office of Financial Aid will notify the student via email so the student can view the award amount changes made on myUHV.


Applicant Placement

All job openings are posted on the Jobs for Jags website. Students can review the posted jobs in Jobs for Jags and select those they are interested in, are experienced in, or that are in their major field of study. A number of work study positions are available. Many of these will be on-campus jobs, but the university does have some work study positions that are off campus working for area non-profit organizations. Work study positions are like other employment in that applications are competitive. The student will be expected to complete the Student Employment Application in Jobs for Jags to submit to the hiring department. If chosen for an interview with a university department, a student will generally be notified no later than three (3) days following the interview regarding the status of the employment application. For off-campus positions, the student may also be asked to complete that organization’s application and other documentation required by the agency.



The university has an established Work Study Rate Pay Plan. The Pay Scale Chart in this Guide applies to both College Work Study and Non-College Work-Study students. Each category is based on skills required and job assignments. The minimum wage for a student employed under the Work Study Program is $7.25 per hour. The department may elect to begin above the minimum, depending on the student’s skills and qualifications. Off-campus positions are expected to comply with minimum wage guidelines; however, rates for off-campus positions may vary from on-campus ones based on the hiring organization’s pay scale. All off-campus position rates must be approved by the Office of Financial Aid and can be found on the job posting.


Effective: September 1, 2022

Student Assistant 1Year 1Year 2Year 3+
A person with a few special skills and little or no previous training or work experience. A minimum amount of training is necessary to prepare the employee for work. The jobs are of a routine nature requiring little decision making. $9.00 per hour $9.50 per hour $10.00 per hour
Student Assistant 2Year 1Year 2Year 3+
A person at this level requires independent judgment in addition to extensive previous training and experience. $9.50 per hour $10.00 per hour $10.50 per hour
Peer TutoringYear 1Year 2Year 3+

Tutors lead sessions that cater to the needs and goals of the student(s) they are working with. The sessions may be individual or small group and can take place in the Student Success Center, on the Katy campus (limited subjects), or online via Upswing. Peer Tutors are required to have earned an “A” in the course they tutor as well as instructor recommendation for the course. They must maintain a 3.0 GPA for all coursework.

$10.00 per hour $10.50 per hour $11.00 per hour
Supplemental InstructorYear 1Year 2Year 3+

SI Leaders are students that who facilitate weekly out-of-class group learning / study sessions in targeted courses (courses with a high D-F-Withdrawal rates). They create lesson plans based on the content in the course and in collaboration with the course instructor. SI Leaders are expected to attend lectures for the course they support and meet regularly with the professor to clarify course content and material. They must plan and implement their sessions, guiding students through the most difficult course concepts, while sharing strategies they used to be successful in the course. Like Peer Tutors, SI Leaders are required to have earned an “A” in the course they tutor as well as instructor recommendation for the course. They must maintain a 3.0 GPA for all coursework.

$12.00 per hour $12.50 per hour $13.00 per hour
Graduate Peer TutoringYear 1Year 2Year 3+

Peer tutoring for graduate level coursework. Tutors lead sessions that cater to the needs and goals of the student(s) they are working with. The sessions may be individual or small group and can take place in the Student Success Center, on the Katy campus (limited subjects), or online via Upswing. Peer Tutors are required to have earned an “A” in the course they tutor as well as instructor recommendation for the course. They must maintain a 3.0 GPA for all coursework.

$15.00 per hour $15.50 per hour $16.00 per hour
Tech Assistant 1Year 1Year 2Year 3+
A person must have technical skills, knowledge of the job, or be in a training phase of a technical position. $9.50 per hour $10.00 per hour $10.50 per hour
Tech Assistant 2Year 1Year 2Year 3+
Student workers must have working technological knowledge or knowledge of the job through previous training and experience. $10.00 per hour $10.50 per hour $11.00 per hour
Tech Assistant 3Year 1Year 2Year 3+
Student workers must have advanced technical skills, audio/visual equipment, or networking environments, as well as leadership or mentoring skills. $11.00 per hour $11.50 per hour $12.00 per hour

 Wage increase requests must be submitted by the employer along with the annual student employee evaluation.


Work Hours per Week

The total number of work hours per week is contingent upon the amount that is awarded to the student. During the fall and spring terms, a student should not work more than twenty (20) hours per week in any week that classes are scheduled, including final examination week. An exception to the twenty (20) hours per week schedule is between terms. In between terms a student may work up to (35) hours per week contingent upon the amount of award that is remaining. To be eligible to work during periods of nonattendance, a student must be planning to register for the next term, including a summer period, or in the case of summer earnings, the next academic year, and must demonstrate financial need for the upcoming period of enrollment. If the student is a new student, a written record showing that the student has accepted the school’s offer of admittance for the next period of enrollment is required.


Work Study hours are also limited to the amount of the award. If the student exceeds the amount of the award, he or she will not be permitted to work during the remainder of the term under the College Work Study Program. However, if the office has funding available, they may be able to continue your employment as a non-college work study student.


Work Schedule

Prior to employment, the supervisor and the student will determine an agreeable work schedule. The employee must notify the supervisor if he or she is going to be absent for a scheduled shift. This notification must be made either prior to the intended absence or as soon as physically possible if the absence was unexpected. If the student’s academic performance suffers due to his or her work schedule, the student must notify his or her supervisor, so hours may be changed or arranged accordingly. Ultimately the supervisor establishes the work schedule and determines any changes.


New Hire Paperwork

A meeting must be scheduled with the Human Resources Office once the student has accepted a job offer. All new student employees must complete a criminal background check. New students must complete an I-9, W-4 and Direct Deposit form for student payroll. A Personal Data Sheet must also be completed. New students should bring bank routing and account numbers, their original driver’s license, social security card or birth certificate to the meeting with Human Resources.

All students will be required to complete some mandatory on-line training sessions within the first 30 days of employment.


Pay Periods/Time and Effort Reports

All pay periods for Work Study employees are bi-weekly. Each paycheck will reflect hours the student actually worked during the preceding two weeks. Students need to record all paid time by punching in and out of the PeopleSoft Web Clock located in the Human Resources P.A.S.S. module. The supervisor will review and approve/adjust the time accordingly.

Each off-campus student employee will enter only the hours he or she actually worked each day and the correct totals for each day and week. The supervisor approves the hours worked and signs the time sheet. A timesheet not signed by both the student and the supervisor will not be accepted for processing. Timesheets must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid for manual entry of time in the Human Resources P.A.S.S. module by 9:00 every other Wednesday. The timesheets can be faxed, but the original copies should be submitted to the school at the 1st opportunity.

If the student’s timesheet is late, it may not be processed with those submitted on time and may result in a late paycheck. This delay may range from one to two weeks. Therefore, the timesheets must be submitted to supervisors at the designated deadline, so supervisors can submit them to the Office of Financial Aid in a timely manner.

Time for holidays, sick days, vacation and lunch is not to be included on the timesheets. Garnishing federal work study wages for any debt other than cost of attendance is not permissible.

W-2s are mailed the last week in January to the student’s address listed on the W-4 form. The W-2s are also available in the Human Resources P.A.S.S. module.


On occasion, the university must process payroll earlier than normal to correspond with state-mandated deadlines. Students will be advised when these dates occur that Time and Effort reports should be submitted early. Time and Effort reports are to reflect only the hours worked to the date of submission. Time worked for College Work Study MAY NOT be estimated during times in which payroll must be processed earlier than normal.

Student employees may elect to have their pay electronically deposited into their personal bank accounts or to their Jaguar Card/VIBE card accounts. Employees are paid the second Friday following the end of the pay period.


Recording additional minutes or hours that were not actually worked on time reports is considered padding a time sheet which is a federal offense that will result in permanent termination from the program. Each student should take time to properly sign in and out each workday to ensure that only time he or she actually worked is entered.


Employee Benefits

Work study employees do not earn vacation leave, sick leave or holiday pay due to the irregular nature of employment. Work Study Program employees are not eligible to apply for a leave of absence. Student employees are not eligible for unemployment benefits. For more information on employee benefits such as social security and Medicare, contact the Human Resources Office.


Dress Code

The Work Study Program does not establish a dress code for student employees. However, depending upon where the student is employed, a dress code may be required. Each employer is entitled to set a dress code. Work Study employees who are employed in on-campus departments or with off-campus agencies that have a dress code are required to adhere to that code.



There are three (3) broad categories under which a student termination would fall: (1) the student may be terminated by the Work-Study Program; (2) the student may voluntarily terminate employment; or (3) the employing department may initiate an involuntary termination.

Types of Termination

By the Work Study Program

A student who has earned enough to meet the total of his or her work study award for the academic year is terminated from the Work Study Program. A student may also be terminated if he or she is no longer enrolled, enrolled for an inadequate number of hours, no longer has financial need, or if satisfactory academic progress is not maintained.

Both the student and the employer will receive written notification of termination when it is initiated by the Office of Financial Aid due to the limitations of the Work Study Program. The reason for the termination and the effective date will be given.

Voluntary Termination

The student will be terminated upon request. Such a request should be presented to the supervisor two (2) weeks prior to the effective date.

Involuntary Termination

Involuntary termination results when the employee (a) does not perform in a satisfactory manner, (b) has committed a minor offense, (c) has committed a major offense such as theft, insubordination, gross misconduct, etc. (d) has excessive unexplained absences, (e) has walked off the job, or (f) has a recorded absence without permission or notice, except when an emergency situation precluded giving such notice.

In cases of a possible violation of the Student Code of Conduct, the Office of Financial Aid or employing department will refer the situation to the Director of Student Services. For students that work for off-campus agencies, the decision is at the discretion of the agency.

Approval of Terminations

The involuntary termination of a student employee is received in the Office of Financial Aid, forwarded to and reviewed by the Human Resource Office, and approved by the Assistant Vice President of Enrollment Management and the Director of Financial Aid.


Program Responsibilities


The student is expected to do the following:

  1. Complete and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. Receive award notice via email from the Office of Financial Aid
  3. Accept the Work Study award on myUHV
  4. Review Position Postings in Jobs for Jags
  5. Complete college employment applications in the Career Development Center
  6. Await a call for an interview
  7. Await notification from interviewer of employment status
  8. Arrange work schedule with supervisor
  9. Meet with HR to provide a copy of Social Security card and government-issued identity card, e.g. driver’s license, bank account and routing numbers, and complete other required paperwork
  10. Attend Student Worker Orientation
  11. Begin work for employing department
  12. Clock in and out of the P.A.S.S Webclock. For off-campus employees, enter hours worked at end of each day, and when due, submit time sheet to the Office of Financial Aid.
  13. Complete UH System training online within 30 days of employment
  14. Notify the Office of Financial Aid (in writing) of changes in:
    1. Term hours enrolled
    2. Name and Address
    3. Financial status
  15. Apply for continued Work Study employment each academic year.
  16. The student is expected to perform the work assigned by the supervisor.
  17. The student is expected to conduct him/herself as a mature adult and deliver a full measure of work for the time employed.


Prohibited Conduct

The following list of prohibited conduct has been developed to inform the student employees of unacceptable behavior and/or activity. Engaging in one or more of the following forms of prohibited conduct may result in a reprimand or termination. Additional work rules may be established by management.

  1. Insubordination, including disobedience, failure, refusal to carry out an assignment or instructions.
  2. Loafing, loitering, sleeping, or engaging in unauthorized personal business.
  3. Unauthorized disclosure of confidential information or records.
  4. Falsifying records or giving false information to other agencies or to employees responsible for recordkeeping.
  5. Failure to provide accurate and complete information whenever such information is required by an authorized person.
  6. Negligence in performance of assigned duties.
  7. Unexcused or excessive absenteeism.
  8. Failure to report promptly at the starting time of a shift or leaving before the scheduled quitting time without approval.
  9. Unauthorized or improper use of University property or equipment including computer, telephone, or mail service.
  10. Unauthorized possession or removal of University or another person’s private property.
  11. Threatening, attempting, or doing bodily harm to another person.
  12. Threatening, intimidating, interfering with, or using abusive language toward others.
  13. Reporting to work under the influence of alcohol or drugs.



Since both the Federal College Work Study Program and the Texas College Work Study Program are government funded, compliance with each program’s regulations is essential for the programs to continue at the University of Houston-Victoria. Compliance is the responsibility of all members of the campus community, so it is important to become familiar with the requirements listed in this guide. It takes everyone’s cooperation and understanding to develop and carry out a successful Work Study Program. Failure to comply with all federal/state regulations could result in the loss of, or reduction of, federal/state financial aid funds provided to the University.



The Office of Financial Aid is located in University West, Room 110.

Work Study Program:
Zoeann Byerly, Financial Aid Specialist
(361) 570-4324

The Career Development Center is located in University North, Room 214.

Employer Contact:
Amy Hatmaker, Director, Career Development Center
(361) 570-4378

Student Contact:
Shelbie Ayala, Coordinator, Career Development Center
(361) 570-4369