University of Houston-Victoria

Financial Aid

College Work Study

Federal and State Work-Study Programs provide part-time jobs for students who have financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Work-Study funds are earned on a biweekly basis according to the hours worked.

How to Apply for College Work-Study Awards

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. Complete a job search on Jobs for Jags.
  3. Contact Career Services for Student Employment Applications.
  4. Complete any additional paperwork that the Office of Financial Aid deems necessary to establish your financial need. You will be notified on your To Do List in myUHV if additional documents are requested.
  5. Secure a College Work-Study job.
  6. Accept the College Work-Study Award in myUHV.

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for College Work-Study, an applicant must:

  • demonstrate financial need;
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
  • have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • be registered with Selective Service, if you’re a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress in college
  • not convicted of a federal or state drug offense (possessing or selling illegal drugs) that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid
  • sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) stating that
    • you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant and
    • you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes; and
  • show you’re qualified to obtain a college education by
    • having a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate;
    • completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law (or—if state law does not require a homeschooled student to obtain a completion credential—completing a high school education in a homeschool setting that qualifies as an exemption from compulsory attendance requirements under state law); or
    • enrolling in an eligible career pathway program and meeting one of the "ability-to-benefit" alternatives.

Federal College Work-Study Program

The Federal College Work-Study Program provides part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students. The average award is $3,000 per year. UHV offers on and off-campus positions.

Texas College Work-Study

The Texas College Work-Study program is a need based work study program funded by the State of Texas. It operates essentially in the same manner as the Federal Work-Study Program, with the additional stipulation that a participating student be a bona fide Texas resident enrolled at least half-time. Recipients of Texas Work-Study cannot be recipients of an athletic scholarship while earning work-study wages. The State priority deadline is March 15, for identifying elegible students.

College Work-Study Employment Procedures

Once the student has established that they meet the qualifications to apply for a College Work-Study position, students should review the job opportunities with a Career Services employee. It is the student's responsibility to contact the hiring department listed, interview with the department contact, and gain employment. In addition, employing departments may also contact College Work-Study applicants for an interview.

Should a student locate a job on campus, the student is required to complete the necessary paperwork in Human Resources. Students are paid biweekly. Once a student has reached his/her award limit, employment may be terminated. Review the following guides for more information about Policies, Procedures, Rights and Responsibilities of students and employers.

For additional information on College Work-Study programs, please email Zoeann Byerly at or call her at (361)570-4324.

The overview below shows the types of College Work-Study jobs that are typically available at UHV and the typical wages paid associated with those jobs. There are generally about 40 college Work-Study jobs, both on and off-campus, available through UHV each year.

The information presented meets the requirements of Texas House Bill 2504, section 4.229, “Internet access to Work-Study information.” The information here is subjected to change.

College Work-Study positions are grouped categories. The chart below defines each category and pay scale. The Pay Scale Chart applies to both College Work Study and Non-College Work-Study students.


Student Assistant 1

A person with a few special skills and little or no previous training or work experience. A minimum amount of training is necessary to prepare the employee for work. The jobs are of a routine nature requiring little decision making.

Year 1
$7.25 per hour

Year 2
$7.75 per hour

Year 3+
$8.00 per hour

Student Assistant 2

A person at this level requires independent judgment in addition to extensive previous training and experience.

Year 1
$8.75 per hour

Year 2
$9.25 per hour

Year 3+
$9.75 per hour

Student Tutoring

Positions include tutoring on or off campus. The wage rate may depend on tutoring individuals or a group, and on subject area tutoring.

Year 1
$8.00 per hour

Year 2
$9.00 per hour

Year 3+
$10.00 per hour

Student Tech Assistant 1

A person must have technical skills, knowledge of the job, or be in a training phase of a technical position.

Year 1
$7.90 per hour

Year 2
$8.50 per hour

Year 3+
$9.25 per hour

Student Tech Assistant 2

Student workers must have technological expertise or knowledge of the job through previous training and experience.

Year 1
$8.40 per hour

Year 2
$8.90 per hour

Year 3+
$9.15 per hour

Student Tech Assistant 3

Student workers must have technical expertise in programming, web applications, or networking environments

Year 1
$8.65 per hour

Year 2
$9.50 per hour

Year 3+
$10.30 per hour