University of Houston-Victoria

Financial Aid


Students must meet the following minimum requirements for a majority of the financial aid programs:

  • demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans);
  • have a high school diploma, General Education Development (GED) certificate, complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law, or have completed an Ability to Benefit exam prior to July 1, 2012;  
  • be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident;
  • have a valid Social Security number;
  • be unconditionally admitted to UHV;
  • be degree seeking;
  • making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certification;
  • not be defaulted on any educational loan or owe a refund on a federal or state grant;
  • be registered with the Selective Service, if male;
  • be enrolled at least half-time (except Pell Grants); 
  • certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes; and
  • not be convicted of possessing and/or selling illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid.

As of June 17, 2021, the FAFSA Simplification Act removed the Selective Service and Drug Conviction requirements for Title IV eligibility; however, males to be registered with the Selective Service and all students cannot be convicted of selling or possessing illegal drugs to qualify for state financial aid funding.

Transient and visiting students who are non-degree seeking at UHV are not eligible for financial aid.

The priority deadlines are as follows:

January 15 — Fall

October 15 — Spring

March 15 — Summer

The most common type of financial aid is a “package’’ which is offered in the following order:  grants, scholarships, employment, and/or loans.  Prior to offering federal, state, and institutional financial aid, a student’s eligibility is reviewed.  Financial Aid offered prior to the student enrolling for the term may be based on full-time enrollment and aid awarded after the student enrolls will be based on the student’s current enrollment status. Financial aid will not be offered until all requested documents have been received and reviewed. Students who have incomplete files should be prepared to pay for their tuition, fees, books and supplies, and other educational expenses by the payment deadline.

An Offer Notification email will be sent to the student's UHV e-mail address informing them that they need to review their financial aid offered on the myUHV web link and then accept, modify or decline the awards.  All students accepting a Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan will need to complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note  so the loan can be originated.   Master Promissory Notes are valid for 10 years.  Future loans accepted by students will be originated using the promissory note on file with the Department of Education.

Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling for undergraduates and graduates is required for all first-time Federal Direct loan borrowers and first-time UHV borrowers.  Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling is required of Federal Direct Grad PLUS borrowers if the student has not previously received a Direct Loan.  Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling is required for all undergraduate and graduate loan recipients each time they complete a degree, drop below half-time, leave UHV, or withdraw from the semester.  If loan borrowers need to defer payments or request a forbearance on his or her Federal loan(s) while in repayment, forms are available or contact the loan servicer.

If students are planning to receive financial aid at UHV as co-enrolled students, they must complete a Consortium Agreement form each semester they co-enroll. In addition, a copy of the student’s class schedule and paid fee receipt is required as proof of enrollment. UHV currently has consortium agreements with Austin Community College, Lone Star College System, Coastal Bend College, Blinn College, Houston Community College, Victoria College and Wharton County Junior College. Consortium agreement forms are also available for students co-enrolling with UH, UH-Downtown and UH-Clear Lake. Federal regulations may not allow students to receive financial aid from two institutions simultaneously or for classes that will not transfer to the student’s UHV degree plan.

Due to the wide range of financial aid available, the specific processes for applying, and the constant change in available funding, students are encouraged to contact UHV financial aid personnel early in the process and to keep the staff informed of any changes that may occur which would affect his/her ability to pay for educational expenses.


UH-Victoria Programs of Financial Assistance

Federal College Work-Study Program

Federal Direct Loan Program (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program

* Federal Pell Grant Program

* Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

* Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Program

* Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

Federal TEACH Grant

Miscellaneous State Scholarships

Texas College Work-Study Program

* TEXAS Grant

Texas Public Education Grants (Resident or Nonresident)

Tuition Offset Grants

UHV Scholarships

  *  For Undergraduate Students Only

 For a brief description of the criteria of the programs listed above, contact Financial Aid.

Endowed scholarship funds are awarded on the basis of financial need and academic merit. Click here to view the online listing of university scholarships.  In addition, the community and civic organizations award several scholarships to UHV students. Some of the organizations require you to complete their applications.  Information on new student scholarships may also be obtained by contacting a UHV recruiter in the student’s prospective Academic School (ex. Arts & Sciences, Business Administration, etc.) or Student  Recruitment Office.   At times, UHV offers special scholarship incentive programs.  If a student is recommended for one of the scholarships, the student may be required to complete the UHV Scholarship Application.

Bureau of Indian Education Higher Education Grant Program

The BIE Higher Education Grant Program provides supplemental financial aid to the eligible American Indian/Alaska Native student seeking a Bachelor’s degree.  Students must be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendant of a member of an American Indian tribe which is eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States through the Bureau of Indian Affairs because of their status as Indians. Students must be accepted for admission to UHV and demonstrate financial need.  The grant application is available with the education officer of the Tribe in which the student is affiliated or possesses membership.  If the student's tribe is not administering the grant program, they can direct you to the nearest Bureau of Indian Affairs, Education Line Officer for the application.  Full-time Graduate students who are members of a federally recognized Indian/Alaska Native tribe can contact the American Indian Graduate Center for an application at (505) 881-4584.

Tuition and Fee Exemptions

Exemptions and waivers are issued only for the period in which a student is currently enrolled; therefore, applications must be submitted no later than the official closing day of the semester or summer term being attended. An example is the Hazlewood Act Exemption.  The UHV Student Billing Office processes the tuition exemptions and waivers.   For a listing of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board exemptions, log onto the College For All Texans.

Vocational Rehabilitation

The Texas Rehabilitation Commission offers assistance for tuition and required fees to students who have certain physical or emotional disabilities, provided the vocational objective selected by the student has been approved by an appropriate representative of the Commission. Through this state agency, other rehabilitation services are available to assist disabled persons to become employable.

Application for this type of assistance should be made to the nearest rehabilitation office. Inquiries may be addressed to the Texas Rehabilitation Commission, 4102 N. Navarro, Suite D-2, Victoria, Texas 77901.