List of Blackboard-Compatible Internet Browsers
Certified: fully tested and supported.
Compatible: partially tested but should function properly.
Unsupported: either impossible or not tested.
Provisional:(Client Technologies ONLY) future technologies considered supported by Blackboard Support.
Windows Operating System
Mac OSX Operating System
- 64-bit Client Operating Systems: We are generally un-prepared to test 64-bit versions of client operating systems. We will continue to keep Windows XP 64-bit unlisted. 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 will remain Compatible [June 2011]
- Internet Explorer 8 is only supported in Standards Mode.
- Internet Explorer 9 is only supported in Standards Mode.
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. JAWS 11 and 12 are used during accessibility testing of 9.1 SP7.
- Chrome support: due to the auto-update feature of Chrome, support is based on the version available at the time of testing - release docs will note version tested.
- Firefox support: due to the auto-update feature of Firefox, support is based on the version available at the time of testing - release docs to note version tested.
- Note on OSX 1.8 Java is no longer shipped as part of the OS install and must be downloaded and installed by users on request of application/applet - this is a one time action on the part of the user.
- Announce de-support of XP - target date/SP first 2014 release - last guaranteed version to support XP is SP14.
Client Technology Highlights of Changes from Previous Service Packs
- OSX 10.8/Safari 6.x support added
- Windows 8 and IE10 support added (focus on 64 bit)
Technologies NOT supported
- Internet Explorer 6, 7
- Firefox 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5
- Safari 2.0, 3.x (or any version on Windows)
- Windows XP 64-bit (unlisted)
- Mac OSX 10.3, OSX 10.4
- JRE 5 though it may continue to work
Blackboard Learn supports the latest version of Sun (Oracle) JRE. The JRE can be downloaded from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.